• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Are These Nail Clippers Safe For A Cockatoo?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Are these nail clippers safe for a small SC2? Will big human nail clippers work?

IMG_20220520_163317642.jpg

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Human clippers won't work because they're made for flat nails. This will only crush the nail and hurt the bird.

While those you have may work, I do not like guillotine nail clippers because they typically have one blade and one flat edge. The flat edge sort of crushes the nail while the blade comes through the nail from one side to the other. It can be painful. I don't even use those types for my dog despite being dog nail clippers.

It's best to use the scissor styles like this below that cuts both sides simultaneously and pressure is equal.

Pet Nail Clippers for Small Animals https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06WWJQ5SS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_D7VV1SYVHDH0WDCK81DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Coastal Pet - Safari - Professional Dog Nail Trimmer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002ARQV4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_AEM4VHX5804WNPVAPQ4N

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They will cut very far back, and very quickly.
Dog clippers do work, but you'd have to be very careful not to go to far back.
The human clippers I have aren't made for 'tubular' nails. They may work, but I'd fear they'd splinter the nail instead of a clean snip.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Human clippers won't work because they're made for flat nails. This will only crush the nail and hurt the bird.

While those you have would work, I do not like guillotine nail clippers because they typically have one blade and one flat edge. The flat edge sort of crushes the nail and can be painful.

It's best to use the clipper styles like this below that cuts both sides simultaneously and pressure is equal.

Coastal Pet - Safari - Professional Dog Nail Trimmer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002ARQV4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_AEM4VHX5804WNPVAPQ4N
I have been using the regular human nail clippers for my budgies, does that apply for them too? Thank you

They will cut very far back, and very quickly.
Dog clippers do work, but you'd have to be very careful not to go to far back.
The human clippers I have aren't made for 'tubular' nails. They may work, but I'd fear they'd splinter the nail instead of a clean snip.
I will be careful. Just wanting to take the tip off so it isn't as sharp, and clip a few daily. I am getting pink spots from his nails and my file isn't doing enough. I have been using the regular human nail clippers for my budgies, does that apply for them too?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are better safer options, I stopped using those sorts of clippers on my dogs nails years back after a brand new pair shattered and splintered my poor whippets nail.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would look into Dremel nail cutting set. Some are very inexpensive and quick to trim. It will have to be practice to make perfect deal. Remember tiny bits at first and one nail at a time. Rocky was terrified by the noise. Sweet Pea was whatever ,Bebe anything buzzing is scary.