• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Are these droppings normal?

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Hello everyone, I recently came back from travel, and left my cockatiel with a family member. I have been back for 6 days now and noticed changes in her droppings. Are these droppings normal?

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are all those droppings from one day? Is your bird acting like they might be laying an egg soon? It’s concerning that they are all in the same spot. Is your bird active during the day?
The droppings look too watery or have a lot of urine. I would discuss with your vet.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition, what is your bird's normal diet?

You can expect to see more watery droppings if the bird has eaten vegetables with a high water content, has recently bathed (and ingested water) or is stressed - for example, from being moved in a carrier. If these droppings were all on the same day, I would monitor the bird carefully and see whether the droppings go back to normal in the next 24 hours. If they are still very watery, then please consult an avian vet.

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
In addition, what is your bird's normal diet?

You can expect to see more watery droppings if the bird has eaten vegetables with a high water content, has recently bathed (and ingested water) or is stressed - for example, from being moved in a carrier. If these droppings were all on the same day, I would monitor the bird carefully and see whether the droppings go back to normal in the next 24 hours. If they are still very watery, then please consult an avian vet.
Hello, she has been on a pellet diet(and occasionally pecans as a treat). She has had these droppings since I got back 6 days ago. She still acts normal and eats, but I don't think her water bowl was cleaned properly when I was gone. I will contact the vet if she continues to have the same droppings, thank you

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's been going on for six days already, then I would contact the avian vet now and make an appointment for as soon as possible. Make sure that the avian vet is capable of collecting and testing faecal samples and potentially crop and cloacal swabs.

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Are all those droppings from one day? Is your bird acting like they might be laying an egg soon? It’s concerning that they are all in the same spot. Is your bird active during the day?
The droppings look too watery or have a lot of urine. I would discuss with your vet.
Hello, and yes these are her droppings in one day. My bird is pretty active and she gets outside cage time about 3 hours a day (varies). She still eats, and acts normal. She is on a pellet diet and sometimes eats pecans as a treat. She usually sleeps in one spot which could explain why there a lot of droppings in one area but it is more liquid than usual. I will monitor her droppings and contact the vet if it is still the same by tomorrow. Thank you

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
If it's been going on for six days already, then I would contact the avian vet now and make an appointment for as soon as possible. Make sure that the avian vet is capable of collecting and testing faecal samples and potentially crop and cloacal swabs.
Yes I see if I can get her an appointment for tomorrow, thank you

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
***Update***
soonest appointment is until tuesday, is there anything I could do in the meantime?