• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these conures really ready to be brought home?

Dolcezza

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everyone!
I have decided to get a Pineapple conure. Before this, I have had budgies and a cockatiel. Hopefully, I'll be able to handle a conure as I've heard they can be pretty aggressive at times..

Anyways, I asked the breeder to send a few pics of the conures and here they are:

This little guys/gals are so cute and I cannot wait to get them home. However, they seem to be a little too young. The breeder says that they are around 2.5 months old and can definitely be taken home. I, however, do not want to take any risks. I will only be buying one conure and I fear that he may not be able to cope up with getting separated at such a young age. So what do you think? I would like to get my parrot asap so that I can bond with him when he's younger, but I'll be ready to wait if that's what is required.

Thanks in advance:)

Attachments

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Conures wean on average between 8 and 12 weeks of age. Obviously, this can be longer. To check they can eat on the own, they should be kept with the breeder for another week or so. At 2.5 months they should be ready to come home, but I am not 100% sure. Let me tag a few conure people.

Do you know what they are currently being fed?

I would not be worried about taking them away from the other birds, but instead that they are (or not) fully weaned.

They are beautiful by the way!

@webchirp @tattoosiva

Dolcezza

Thanks @Ali for the quick reply..Will ask the breeder tomorrow for more details about what they are being fed and let you know!

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You also do not need to have a baby super young to bond. Not to dissuade you, but all my babies have decided to choose someone else to love at maturity :lol: All my adults love me through and through (except for Ripley who will drop me in 3 seconds for a handsome guy). So waiting a few extra weeks is not going to hurt anything - and in fact might help. Babies are hardwired to choose someone other than mom as a mate ;)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You also do not need to have a baby super young to bond. Not to dissuade you, but all my babies have decided to choose someone else to love at maturity :lol: All my adults love me through and through (except for Ripley who will drop me in 3 seconds for a handsome guy). So waiting a few extra weeks is not going to hurt anything - and in fact might help. Babies are hardwired to choose someone other than mum as a mate ;)
I missed that sentence of the original post, sorry. I agree, a few extra weeks isn't going to hurt, and I'm sure the breeder wouldn't mind. Do what you feel comfortable with, but as Mizzely said, if they see you as mummy bird, then you could end up being dropped by your bird later down the line (please, don't let this stop you getting a bird!).

A few weeks more would not do any harm. I'm not sure you really need to worry about bonding early, people here have successfully bonded with birds of a few years old, after not having the best start.

Enjoy your bird, and when you decide to bring him home, we'll want pictures!

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would wait until they are fully weened. I know that there is a set of thinking that handfeeding by the future owner will form a closer bond but to them its just a person feeding them from a tube. You will bond when you bring him home with treats and attention.

I don't know if there are any scientific studies but i truly believe a bird chooses his bond choice, be it another bird or a person. We have owned 6 conures, the four " babies" chose my partner to bond with and my senior bird chose me. 1 decided to bond with another bird and just tolorated us.

Its a crapshoot when buying a baby bird, he could be the sweetest cuddle monster the first year and then 2 years later he's a screamer who doesn't want to touched.

Or one you lavish attention to,the kind of bird with tons of toys, great food and your the sunlight of his life , devoting all your love that you can give but he starts to pluck himself bare and the A/V runs tons of test but he's in perfect health but still plucks.

You may not get the bird you always dreamed of bonding with you but through years it could change but whatever personality he develops, you will still love him unconditionally and in his own way feel the same.

Dolcezza

Okay, so I spoke to the breeder again today and asked him all about the baby's eating habits. He told me that while the conure is completely independent and does not need to be handfed, he will only be able to eat sprouts and fruits for some time and not seeds or pellets. Is that alright?
If it is, I would want nothing more than to get him home next week (as my mid term examinations end next week and I'll have plenty of time to spend with him.)

But seeing that many of you have the opinion that baby birds tend to change their companions when they grow up, do you suggest that I get an adult conure instead? They are also available in a local pet shop and are 1-2 years old. I really wanted to get a baby because, well, they are simply adorable. lol.
Still I'm open to other views

Yes, @Ali will definitely send those pics!!

@Mizzely HAHA It's funny how they are so sexist..During my research I came across a myriad of cases where conures preferred to sit on the shoulders of men over women! Why is that though:rofl:.. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with me

@tattoosiva I'm guessing they are fully weened as they are capable of eating fruits and vegies now. Just not seeds yet.

P.S: I was told today that 2 out of the four babies have already found a home. I have asked the breeder a million times to keep one for me, and hopefully he will do so. Still, I don't wish to wait for long now. (I'm literally jumping with excitement like a 7 year old does on Christmas. lol :D

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even with an adult there will behavior/personality changes, something as simple as moving their cage can change an adult bird. I think you may have a better chance of an adult "choosing" you and a chance to discuss with the staff what their behavior has been like.

Either way, choose with your heart and whats best for you and your future bird. Don't let cute be the determining factor, a conure with a crossed eye, scissor beak and ratty feathers could turn out to be your dream bird ( mine has).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If that first photo is of the age they are now, I very much doubt they are 'fully weaned'. More like force weaned.
If it's an older photo, then maybe they are.
Many breeders that do it for the money, make more if the babies sell young.
Good for them, bad for the birds and you.
Many 'weaned' babies end up needing handfed by the new owners.
Clueless new owners often remark how irritating all the crying is from their new birds.
If they only knew, luckily some of them come here.
Sad. :(

Dolcezza

If that first photo is of the age they are now, I very much doubt they are 'fully weaned'. More like force weaned.
If it's an older photo, then maybe they are.
Many breeders that do it for the money, make more if the babies sell young.
Good for them, bad for the birds and you.
Many 'weaned' babies end up needing handfed by the new owners.
Clueless new owners often remark how irritating all the crying is from their new birds.
If they only knew, luckily some of them come here.
Sad. :(
Yes, that's exactly what I thought. I was told that they are approx 3 months old but they seemed so much younger in that picture. Yesterday, on speaking to the breeder again and asking for more pics, I realised that the pictures attached above were taken long back

Even with an adult there will behavior/personality changes, something as simple as moving their cage can change an adult bird. I think you may have a better chance of an adult "choosing" you and a chance to discuss with the staff what their behavior has been like.

Either way, choose with your heart and whats best for you and your future bird. Don't let cute be the determining factor, a conure with a crossed eye, scissor beak and ratty feathers could turn out to be your dream bird ( mine has).
I unfortunately won't be able to go to shop as due to covid, but after asking for multiple videos and pics I finally selected one and he will arrive tomorrow!

Thanks all for the help:)