• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Are these “scabs” a cause for concern?

Kelpie

Moving in
Hello all,
My 3 yr old Female, Archie, has been in relatively good health since I brought her home as a young’un. Her only issue being an enlarged liver, for which she is now prescribed milk thistle indefinitely. Along w a special diet.

Over the past month or so, I’ve noticed a new behavior, one I haven’t seen before. She will pick at her toes and nails, almost like she’s preening them: which in itself isn’t too worrisome, but she does it quite often.
I’m hoping this is just preening, or a way of her telling me her nails are getting too long.

On another note, she has 3 (very) small red scabs on her toes. Two are visible in the pictures, the last is on her back toe. They don’t seem to irritate her, but I am curious as to what they are and how I can help.
A bonus picture of her nostril, worried they may be “clogged”? She has two showers a week, at least. So I wouldn’t think it to be a humidity issue.

C482D899-7E2F-4B5B-828B-1F0E88438497.jpeg A599285F-43E0-4218-9032-0AEBD80A9100.jpeg 32EB4FA7-FEC6-41F9-90BF-406831AB68A5.jpeg C98BB231-E7B8-4488-A33E-05B323B19B58.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They look dry to me too. It also sounds like normal preening stuff. Tiels will clear out their nostrils with their toes. However, some of the nails do look like they're getting a bit to long to me. (And she's super cute. :) )

Kelpie

Moving in
Update,
Had some help last night, was able to clip Archie’s nails w/ no issues! Hopefully now she is more comfortable.

Tried out the Vitamin-E liquid capsules on her little toesies, she protested the whole time but her skin definitely looks better!
Also did some research on anatomy because I felt I still didn’t know enough; I learned of a little “wall” inside a birds nose called the operculum. So I think that’s resolved.

Couldn’t find anything about the little red spots, they may just clear up after a while of moisturizing.

Edited to add: How do you guys check the choanal slit? Do you use the birdy-burrito method? Or something else?

Last edited: