• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are there any safe toys you recommend? My budgie has a problem with ingesting bits of toys.

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Hi! My 4-month-old budgie has a problem with ingesting tiny bits of his toys-he's not just chewing. Often, I have to take away his toys which I feel bad about. I recently bought him some sola wood toys. Sure enough, he bit off little bits-I am not sure how safe this is so I took them away just in case and replaced them with an acrylic toy. He's a little wary about his acrylic toy still but I'm hoping he gets comfortable soon. In the meantime, any safe toys brands/toys you recommend that would be safe in case he does ingest them? Smaller ones would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
You could make a vegetable skewer with a stainless steel skewer and some veggies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds who eat toys definitely should primarily have digestible toy parts, like food. You do not want birds eating wood etc, even if it's "safe". Safe does not apply to being ingested.

Pica can have dietary reasons. What kind of diet is he on? Has be been to the vet about this?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If he is definitely ingesting things then you’ll need to use toys that are made of plastic and SS. Are you certain your bird is actually ingesting bits of toys?

budgie2021

Birds who eat toys definitely should primarily have digestible toy parts, like food. You do not want birds eating wood etc, even if it's "safe". Safe does not apply to being ingested.

Pica can have dietary reasons. What kind of diet is he on? Has be been to the vet about this?
He eats his seeds, beans, brown rice/ multi-grain pasta as a treat, fruits/veggies, and on occasion egg/oats. Yes, he has and we don't really know why. We think it may be that he gets confused because his sola wood toys are the same color as his cuttlebone and almost the same size. I am a little wary of getting him dyed toys because I don't know what they put in them so his toys are usually natural-colored.

budgie2021

If he is definitely ingesting things then you’ll need to use toys that are made of plastic and SS. Are you certain your bird is actually ingesting bits of toys?
Thank you! I think he is. He never drops any pieces so I'm on the lookout all the time whenever he gets a new toy lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you purchase coloured toys from reputable toy sellers/ stores then the toys will be coloured with safe food coloring.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yeah plastic and stainless steel would be good too :lol:
Yep right!!! Stainless Steel toys are a great way to go for birds who do tend to eat wooden stuff.

Let me show you 3 of my safe welded stainless toys for a Budgie ... These are on my site at Blu's Bird Toys

Bell-Flower-1a-122k.jpg
Bell Flower

Budgie-Single-Jingle-Toys-1a-147k.jpg
Single Jingle

Stacked-Flowers-1a-206x750.jpg
Stacked Flowers

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies love Jan's toys! Highly recommended, but I have to get more as they fight over one of them (mini brickhouse bell - see it in my avatar).

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
My budgies love Jan's toys! Highly recommended, but I have to get more as they fight over one of them (mini brickhouse bell - see it in my avatar).

I have a new bell toy that I am getting ready to bring to life, I'll post on it in Marketplace when I get it figured out and pictured. :)