• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are the wooden play cubes for babies safe for my birds to chew?

tkindel830

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
TeNeah
I recently bought a couple of the play cubes by Melissa and Doug for my birds the play and chew on. After looking and researching, I'm not sure they are safe. Mainly the blocks are shiny(I assume painted) so I’m guessing they are painted. Does anyone know if these are safe or any certain brands or similar products I could get? I always thought if a baby could put it in their mouth then do could a bird, but I realize birds are chewing them not just gumming them lol
Thank you for any advice or suggestions

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lots of people say anything made for kids is safe but I disagree simply because children and birds interact and play with things differently and also their bodies deal with the same problems in totally different ways.

If the blocks are painted then they are not safe even if the paint is safe as paint chips are not digestible and can build up and cause impactions.

I am not sure what blocks you have (add a link for the product if you can) but I have seen a few brands of baby ABC123 blocks that are probably safe (depending on wood used) but I have also seen as many brands that are not safe given they are varnished or painted.

tkindel830

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
TeNeah
Thank you so much for the information. I’ve been trying to do more research but it’s not worth the chance or taking the chance so I’m going to sell all of the toys that I just bought. My babies are more important to me than anything and their safety.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't trust it personally especially when there are bird safe blocks out there. @Mizzely could probably point you in the right direction to get some.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]