• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are the Female Vasa's aggressive profile correct?

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I've been reading on Greater Vasa's and they seem very interesting. Almost every site states that females can be very aggressive. If anyone has a female do you agree with this?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, I read that also. Lol. I am sure that is possible

It has not been my experience. Never have been bitten by her. She does get the zoomies at times but can be the best cuddler. when grooming my hair she may tweak my ear but only if the ear is hiding under the hair. She may also bop me if I don't give her food when I am eating. Solution. Give her food when I eat.
One of my most gentle and loving birds was the Queen of Bavaria Conure although quite loud
Pet is flighted. My problem is she loves my dog and wants to groom him. She is not interested in my other birds. My female ekkie will show signs of aggression is. fluffed feathers and charges! The vasa does none of this.
Hoepe this helps.

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Thank YOU so much, I appreciate your time and info. Yours sounds like such a sweet heart, love your description. I always laugh at the internet descriptions of my species...none of them are remotely true. I am so unfamiliar with Greater Vasa's and so intrigued that I had to ask. Thank you lots and lots.

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Yes, I read that also. Lol. I am sure that is possible

It has not been my experience. Never have been bitten by her. She does get the zoomies at times but can be the best cuddler. when grooming my hair she may tweak my ear but only if the ear is hiding under the hair. She may also bop me if I don't give her food when I am eating. Solution. Give her food when I eat.
One of my most gentle and loving birds was the Queen of Bavaria Conure although quite loud
Pet is flighted. My problem is she loves my dog and wants to groom him. She is not interested in my other birds. My female ekkie will show signs of aggression is. fluffed feathers and charges! The vasa does none of this.
Hoepe this helps.
Ha, this sounds like Obi... He tweaks my ear and doesn't love my dog, but wants to eat her!

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
Where Dawkins was being raised there were two girls. They were not as friendly as Dawkins. There is some suspect from me though that keeping them together might have contributed to that. Dawkins always had his own cage.
I would imagine post sexual maturity they could be very pushy given they can kill males for love.

Dawkins who is sexed male can be quite the jerk himself, but usually he is velcro-like. I'd love to work with a female-- there is one available a few hours north of me, just don't have room for another giant cage.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I visited 2 female vava's at the bird walk store in ohio yesterday. They r both so sweet. I wanted to get one or both but decided I shouldn't cause my tourist season is just beginning and my time will be too limited. But if anyone is interested plz look they are sweet girls. 8 months, fully weaned, fully fledged reasonably priced, and gorgeous. Thebirdwalk.com painesville, oh

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
I visited 2 female vava's at the bird walk store in ohio yesterday. They r both so sweet. I wanted to get one or both but decided I shouldn't cause my tourist season is just beginning and my time will be too limited. But if anyone is interested plz look they are sweet girls. 8 months, fully weaned, fully fledged reasonably priced, and gorgeous. Thebirdwalk.com painesville, oh
He told me one was sold a few weeks ago when I was considering them. If only I had room for another cage....

That's where Dawkins is from. The image online when you click on the vasas for sale is still of baby Dawkins.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
They are both sweet, I liked the smaller of the two, we were "beak kissing" both are sweet and love cuddles from Frank. The sale of one must have fallen thru. I really wanted one but time, especially with a young bird... Wouldn't be fair to them.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Were the birds sexed. Males are usually smaller. According to one article females don't show aggression if provided some meat

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
$950 is a pretty good price. Though I imagine their age has a little to do with it?

I also don't think a female vasa is particularly aggressive. Not something like a hormonal male amazon or female eclectus.
The female vasa is the dominant of the sexes, but the species doesn't seem to be inherently aggressive.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
They are sexed and not aggressive, I called before I went and posted on this ? on this forum. I always have to laugh reading species profiles on the internet. Not many of them fit my individual birds at all. And I think in this case they mean females are dominant in a bonded pair. They are very sweet he easily handled both of them and it was clear they enjoyed cuddles and scratches, one more than the other but I made the most progress with the other so IMO either would be great pets. If my business season were ending not beginning I would have picked one no problem, just feel guilty not being able to give a baby or young one lots of time when they come home. Also, personally I'm more comfortable with adult re-homes IDK y just me. And they are both about the same size now. In one of his pictures one was larger than the other but now it isn't noticeable. I liked the one with the dot in the center of her upper beak. And they are great at entertaining themselves, don't seem very destructive at all. My macs and cockatoos can dismantle a window frame quickly. And also not very loud, their calls are pretty sounds.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
When some people list their desired qualities in a parrot this one would seem to fit most Profiles I've read.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
There are some species that take a bit more handling skills to prevent being bitten, to read body language etc. My one friend will not have another female Ekkie. She got one thinking it would be like a female handicapped ekkie I had. My female was held by kids and went every where with me. Hers was not like this. My current one, Holiday, is going places with me now and she will allow others to hold her but she just doesn't want to be petted and that is fine with me. So, understand your bird as they do have preferences. My Vasa is not one of the more difficult birds to handle, she just loves sparkley objects such as rings/earrings etc :D

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Yep I finally started selling / giving away my jewelry, haven't worn it in years cause of my birds & my daughter just asked if there is something wrong with me... Lol. No just time for it to go! Not my lifestyle anymore.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
$950 is a pretty good price. Though I imagine their age has a little to do with it?

I also don't think a female vasa is particularly aggressive. Not something like a hormonal male amazon or female eclectus.
The female vasa is the dominant of the sexes, but the species doesn't seem to be inherently aggressive.

That is a good price. Mine was a year old and I did pay more. Sorry you could not get a vasa at this time but made a wise decison

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz

Yes they were originally $1400.
I found where Dawkins came from before Birdwalk and emailed them. They say vasas in general can be "pushy" and "nippy" regardless of sex, mostly for their amusement. I don't know if the girls are from the same aviary, but if they are they are pure vasa drouhardi.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I agree that they can be pushy which I would classify differently than being aggressive. Pet will want something and try a variety of ways to get what she wants. It is comical watching her pursue something she shouldn't have. LOL. They do have a very thinking and problem solving brain and get into trouble!

Last edited: