• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Silicone Toys Safe?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I had been wanting to get Emery a teething ring, because I knew she would love the noise and also chewing on it. I found one today in the baby section at the grocery store today. I didn't realize it was 100% silicone and not plastic until I got it home. Is that safe to be used as a parrot toy? I figured it might be since babies chew on them, but it's worth checking.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am not sure, but maybe @Mizzely may know :)

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I have just bought my bird a baby teething thing too. I don't know what the material is but I assumed it would be safe even if it was ingested since it comes from a reputable manufacturer and is a baby product. My birb never swallows anything other than food but am I wrong to think this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've actually been trying to decide this too as so many birds love the silicone texture (as evidenced by how many phone cases and controller joy sticks I've had damaged). I've been debating getting some of the baby teething beads for toys.

Technically there is no research or information either way, but I honestly don't see how plastic baby toys can be safe but not silicone. For baby toys they have to be lead free, food grade, etc.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Exactly. And no bird really ingests these I think? I mean mine barely ingests his healthy pellets... Of course you need to be watchful in case they ever do but with Astro I can give him some plastic toys from time to time within sensible limits.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Realistically we don't want them eating any non-food items.

Foam is one of those items that are frequently considered bird safe and birds love. Yet, I'm willing to bet there are far less safety regulations on foam than on something designed to be in baby's mouth.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I've actually been trying to decide this too as so many birds love the silicone texture (as evidenced by how many phone cases and controller joy sticks I've had damaged). I've been debating getting some of the baby teething beads for toys.

Technically there is no research or information either way, but I honestly don't see how plastic baby toys can be safe but not silicone. For baby toys they have to be lead free, food grade, etc.
Thanks Mizzely! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Silicone is pretty toxic stuff. There are also many different kinds of silicone (depending on application). If there's a chance your bird may eat it why take the chance?

I also stopped giving things like Kong toys because they chew them into tiny little bits. There's no way to know if the bird has eaten some accidently or not. I don't want my birds chewing on stuff like that especially on a regular basis. Too many alternatives (WOOD).

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The type of silicone used in sex toys and baby teethers is food grade and has to be safe to chew on, but I don't know if it's safe to ingest. You also get a pay-off in that the softer the silicone, the more fun it is to chew AND the more easy it is for the bird to bite chunks off. Firmer silicone may be less fun to chew but more durable.

Having said that, I would say that rubber, foam, soft plastics etc are an absolute no because they contain phthalates and other unsafe plasticisers. These chemicals can cause rashes, burning and allergic reactions in humans so I would say that they're definitely not safe for birds. Those foam cut-out shapes or little converse shoes look cute but make me cringe when I see them on bird toys.

Last edited by a moderator:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Good to know. Thank you!

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
The type of silicone used in sex toys and baby teethers is food grade and has to be safe to chew on, but I don't know if it's safe to ingest. You also get a pay-off in that the softer the silicone, the more fun it is to chew AND the more easy it is for the bird to bite chunks off. Firmer silicone may be less fun to chew but more durable.

Having said that, I would say that rubber, foam, soft plastics etc are an absolute no because they contain phthalates and other unsafe plasticisers. These chemicals can cause rashes, burning and allergic reactions in humans so I would say that they're definitely not safe for birds. Those foam cut-out shapes or little converse shoes look cute but make me cringe when I see them on bird toys.
Emery has those small foam ones on a few of her toys. I'm going to go ahead and take the foam one out of her cage. I do worry about her accidentally ingesting some. I watch her carefully with the converse shoes that she has too. She's another bird that would never intentionally swallow something like that, but it could happen. She really mostly just cares about the shoe laces on the shoes, and only the ends of the shoelaces.

Last edited by a moderator:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
what about silicone mats? they are used for under dog bowls usually but I had hoped to use them over carpet for clean up ease and on top of tables of uncertain wood origins for safety. Safe?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
what about silicone mats? they are used for under dog bowls usually but I had hoped to use them over carpet for clean up ease and on top of tables of uncertain wood origins for safety. Safe?
It's fine for a mat.