• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are rose-breasted cockatoos difficult?

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
I have a friend that breeds Galah's and they are delightful birds. They are friendly, cuddly, and all of the other cockatoo behaviors rolled up together, with just a little less crazy. His may not be typical from others as he hand feeds from day 1 instead of letting the parents do it. They get a ton of human interaction from the day they hatch. I took care of a friend's female rose-breasted for a weekend after she was attacked by the male. She just wanted to be held and comforted. When she recovered, she wouldn't give me the time of day.

During my occasional shifts at a local bird store, I deal with M2's, umbrella's and goffins. I never have any physical contact with the M2's. They are BIG birds and this one stays in his cage while he's boarding with us. He's as loud as the hyacinth macaw that comes in once in a while. We have a resident umbrella that I never turn my back on. He is known for jumping on people and just hanging on. You can never tell when he's going to bite. He's had a hard life with some abuse in the past. I just give him space and try not to have much physical interaction with him. We had an umbrella chick that was just a riot. He was a total cuddle bug with an amazing personality. We all missed him when he went home. For me, the crazy ones are the goffins. They are unpredictable. One guy brings his female in during the day, and she's very sweet. Another we have is just crazy. She will jump on you and just sit there. Other times she will jump and bite before you can even react. Sometimes she steps up and just chatters away like you're her best friend, and other times she will scream like she wants your death. In any case, they all have loud voices and big personalities.

It's a good thing to ask a ton of questions if you're going to take one in. I know for certain that there is someone in my area that flips birds. They talk the owner into giving them up with promises of better care, they can handle the big birds, they have tons of experience, etc.... the birds are quickly sold for cash and shipped out of state. If the owner doesn't know the very basics about the bird, then I wouldn't even bother.
Thank you for all the info! I feel like it takes a really special kind of bird lover to have a cockatoo! We’ll see if I end up being one of those people :cool:

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
When I first decided I wanted a bird, I wanted one of the big ones right off. There was even one being rehomed in my city. But I'm glad I never jump into things without research because I learned i do not want a large parrot and am not prepared for one. Not I have a little parrot and we're pretty happy.
I’m definitely not going to jump into any big (or small) non-researched birds, because yikes, that’d be an expensive mistake! I currently have a little bird too, and he’s wonderful!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Aw, he’s so cute! I’m glad that having a galah has been working out for you so well :laugh:
He is, but I can see why they say they have neurotic tendencies. He is skittish and afraid of things, not like he was when we first got him. We got a new tv and a new sub woofer for Christmas and got it right after Thanksgiving. The subwoofer is in the living room, the room above where Fred is. If the tv was on upstairs he wouldn't come out of his cage, so we put it on a table so he can't hear that thunder rolling noise. The new tv is for the room Fred is in, and is a larger, HD TV and until he gets used to that, I have to coax him out of his cage. So he doesn't like change of any kind and will stay in his cage until he's comfortable with it. That's just Fred, poor guy, I just talk to him and sit with him as much as possible to make him comfortable with changes.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I’m definitely not going to jump into any big (or small) non-researched birds, because yikes, that’d be an expensive mistake! I currently have a little bird too, and he’s wonderful!
Years ago, when I was a kid I had two budgies, Peter and Tippy. I always loved birds, and finally talked my husband into lovebirds when my son was about 8. They were a great bird for someone with no real bird experience. They are friendly, playful, fearless and you know clearly when they want you or not. When people ask about a first bird, I say lovebirds, they are like little parrots. :D