• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are quakers noisy and loud all the time

MichaelRay

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michael ray
Hi All,

Are the monk parrots loud only during the morning , afternoon or during the nature calls or they are very loud and noisy all the time through out the day. I know that all birds are noisy but are the monk parrots sound tolerable or non tolerable are they suited for apartments.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had two Quakers, and I know my experience was not typical, but one screamed all day long. Sun up to sun down. The other one screamed at least 5 hours a day. It's a pretty grating call. At first it was fine but after years of it, it wore me down.

I've had them in apartments; you can hear their call about half a block away with the windows closed. But I never had any noise complaints luckily. Might be dependent on how thick your walls are and your neighbors!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Would a single one make less noise maybe as it isn't conversing with the other?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had Jingo by himself for 6 months and he screamed about 4 to 5 hours a day even then

mak

Rollerblading along the road

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I agree with most of those...

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My Quaker parrot Ralph has been with me in an apartment for 10 years with no problems. He is a relatively quiet parrot and doesn't scream at all. I also have a Grey and she's often much louder than Ralph, but still not a problem living in an apartment. There are children and dogs in my building who make a lot more noise than my two parrots combined.

wkaxka

Sitting on the front steps
I have two Quakers and they are extremely loud - they scream all the time, and it's a very loud and unpleasant screech, rather than a pleasant chirp. I have them in an apartment, on the first floor and you can hear them both from the inner courtyard and outside on the street below. I don't know how we haven't had any complaints yet!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my two are quiet

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Plenty of toys, a good sized cage and plenty of attention will help to keep them quieter...

wkaxka

Sitting on the front steps
True, but mine have a large cage, lots of toys, ALL of our attention, free roam of the apartment (they spend 90% of their time outside of the cage, or inside with the door open), and still scream the second we leave the room (to go to the bathroom for example) non-stop until we return, and for a few hours in the middle of the days "just because" haha ^^; I guess mine are a little spoilt - but with Quakers you never really know if they'll be quiet or loud until you bring them home.

However, over all, as someone who owns them and lives in an apartment, I would not recommend them as apartment birds because they're very noisy if you do get a vocal one, and *very* destructive, that's just part of their species personality, but I think they're more suited to a larger space where they can have a room dedicated just to them where they can freely destroy whatever they want without consequences ^^;

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Would a GCC be better? They are said to be quieter than most other conure species, and just quieter in general. @Conure101

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah mine had free range except at bedtime, tons of toys, someone home with them all day, etc and still screamed all the time no matter what I did. It was years that I spent trying to combat the problem :(

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Would a GCC be better? They are said to be quieter than most other conure species, and just quieter in general. @Conure101
More conure people...@CheekyT @webchirp

A bit about gcc if you decide to...