• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are pionus parrots good with other parrots

clunkybird

Moving in
I'm thinking on getting a pionus for my quaker parrot so he can have some company when I'm not around. I'll have them in separate cages when I'm gone, but will that be enough for when they're out of their cage. Considering the size of the pionus will it try and beat up my quaker parrot or will it be chill with him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You never know. In my flock, I have a Pionus that would never go after another bird, and one that picks fights with the caiques.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think it depends on the personality of the Pionus. Nerd bird hated the small house finch we raised and made it his mission to get rid of her one toe, or other part at a time. He also was jealous of the pigeon we had for a while but he was pretty much a only bird and liked daddy all to himself.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
My pionus is bonded with my red-bellied parrot, but would kill any other bird in my flock given half a chance.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm thinking on getting a pionus for my quaker parrot
Firstly, I don't like this. You shouldn't get a bird of another species for a bird. If you want to get a bird "for" a bird, then it should be of the same species. Even then, it is still 50:50 as to what their relationship will be like.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Firstly, I don't like this. You shouldn't get a bird of another species for a bird. If you want to get a bird "for" a bird, then it should be of the same species. Even then, it is still 50:50 as to what their relationship will be like.
That's true.
It's like getting a dog for your dog. Never works out. :roflmao:

Reactions: Ali

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I like how you think :) however, understand that they may never be the best of friends. So you have to understand that you may always have to keep them apart. That said, i firmly believe no animal, and especially smart animals like parrots, should ever be alone.
would you like to live alone amongst a flock of parrots? It seems wonderful at first, but after a few years you’re longing for someone to communicate with on the apropriate level.. so do birds.

But even if they can never share the same space, i really believe they will benefit from the company.

and ofcourse Pionusses are the best! :heart:

SwedeBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My Maxi Pi-boy lives with both budgies and tiels and it works out just well, so I don´t think you should rule it out.

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
I feel like 75% of the time it doesn't work out, Quakers are very strong headed little birds. When they do get along with others it's usually a bird that has a super friendly personality thats willing to put up with an bum. If you want to attempt it i'd speak with a rescue many of them are willing to help you find a bird that will bond with yours. But be ready for it not to work out Quakers are super possessive and don't like to share their human. If you just go out and get another bird be prepared to have to give them separate time out of the cage if they don't like each other, which takes a lot of commitment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Definitely depends. My friend's white cap doesn't tolerate any other birds