• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are pineapple conures loud?

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I just brought home a five year old pineapple conure. Not tame, very cute! Hoping she will get along with my gcc in the future.

I thought pineapples were like GCC's. But her vocals sound completely different and very very loud haha. I am in a house so it's not a concern. My gcc even when she is at her noisiest still has a rougher, quieter sound if that makes sense. The decibal level just doesn't get that high. But new pineapple birdy is a sharp high squeak lol. I can tell she could be loud if she wanted to.

Are they more like Sun conures, I have no clue what they sound like.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pineapple is a mutation of the Green Cheek Conure. They're not a distinct species.

I think you're just seeing individual differences.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A pineapple conure is not a different species :) Your birds are the same species Just like some humans are louder than others, so too are some birds.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
That's what I thought. Are sun conures totally different? I know they're known for being loud.

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sun conures are Aratinga solstitialis, green cheeks are Pyrrhura molinae. Aratinga family birds tend to be the loud conures, while Pyrrhura tends to be quieter. This is both relative (ie, pyrrhura are quieter compared to aratinga) and subjective (what is quiet for one person is loud for another), and as you've found out is also dependent on the individual bird.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think it was @JLcribber who suggested buying an airhorn and blasting it into your ear at irregular intervals.

That is IMHO the required training for conure owners. Deaden your hearing so you cant hear them ( or anything)

Then its the neighbours problem

But I cant talk, with 8 caiques lol

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
A thought I had here was maybe she’s mimicking an outdoor bird/other parrot from her past living environment.
My GCC likes to mimic the mockingbirds we have here or particular sounds from parrot videos we watch. Or it just may be a sound she’s deemed very fun! :lol:
Cheekies will steal your hearts, and your eardrums while they’re at it. Congrats on adopting her!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I think it was @JLcribber who suggested buying an airhorn and blasting it into your ear at irregular intervals.

That is IMHO the required training for conure owners. Deaden your hearing so you cant hear them ( or anything)

Then its the neighbours problem

But I cant talk, with 8 caiques lol
A thought I had here was maybe she’s mimicking an outdoor bird/other parrot from her past living environment.
My GCC likes to mimic the mockingbirds we have here or particular sounds from parrot videos we watch. Or it just may be a sound she’s deemed very fun! :lol:
Cheekies will steal your hearts, and your eardrums while they’re at it. Congrats on adopting her!
I would love to have 8 birds but my roommate would never go for it! Lol.

My roommate says she sounds like a smoke detector out of batteries hahaha.

Yes I thought it was weird sure sounds sooooo different from my gcc. Cute though!