• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Parrotlets Loud?

Macaw22

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey birb people!
My family is a big bird family. We currently have two African Greys, have fostered birds, and have volunteered at a bird shelter for as long as I can remember. My parents are thinking about letting me get a smaller bird. I was thinking about getting a parrotlet because I thought they were a quiet breed of bird. But when looking online, I am getting mixed answers. Anyone who has one, how quiet are they, and are the volume levels different between genders?

Thank you!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Very very very very very very very very loud!!! I don't think genders would make much difference to be honest. The quietest birds I have (or at least the most pleasing sound) are the zebra finches.

Also, if you get a partotket, you will have to keep it away from the African greys, in a different airspace with air filters too.

Macaw22

Hello fellow birb people!
My fam are huge bird people. We have two African greys, have fostered, and have been volunteering at a shelter for as long as I can remember. My parents were thinking of letting me get a small bird, and I was wondering how loud they were because my dad REALLY doesn't want a loud bird. Also, does the volume change depending on gender?

Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I have merged your threads to keep all responses in the same place :)

@finchly

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
When looking at options, be sure to keep in mind that African Greys are powder-down birds. This type of parrot is incompatible with non-powder-down birds due to risk of respiratory problems.

Have you considered a cockatiel?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I have a green cheek conure, he/she doesn't make much noise out of his cage, but makes a lot of noise when he wants to be let out.

Macaw22

When looking at options, be sure to keep in mind that African Greys are powder-down birds. This type of parrot is incompatible with non-powder-down birds due to risk of respiratory problems.

Have you considered a cockatiel?
WE were planning to keep the birds in a different room but thank you so much for the suggestion!

Reactions: Ali

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I think it's relative. As compared to big parrots who can be heard down the street? No, parrotlets aren't loud. As compared to other pets? Absolutely. I live in an apartment with a single parrotlet and haven't had a problem, but when I had housemates they were not thrilled with the noise. It doesn't bother me.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I have a female and overall she is very quiet. The only time she's loud-ER is if she's warning me about something outside, or if she's just in a crabby mood. Her cage is right next to my desk where I'm now working from home all day and noise has not been a problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As mentioned, it's relative. I fostered a parrotlet for awhile (loved him). Other than my tiels, he was the quietest bird I've had. I know other people have said they found theirs to be loud. I didn't at all.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's all relative. If you're used to a macaw or cockatoo's calls, then a parrotlet is very quiet. If you're used to silence, then a parrotlet will seem loud in comparison.

I would find some youtube videos and play them to your family so everyone knows what they're getting into.