• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are my love birds starting to love each other?

KiandFi

Moving in
Real Name
Ki
Hi guys,

my 2 little lovebirds are females names Ki and Fi. We bought Ki 3 years ago and Fiji is a new addition to the family. Ki is very hormonal and territorial and at the beginning it was very hard for them to be around each other.

however now as months have gone Ki has now attempted to be closer to Fiji but Fiji will try and bite her if she gets to close. I wonder if this is because of me, as Fiji is very attached to and doesn’t like when Ki comes to me.

Tonight I thought there might be a break through on their relationship though as Ki began to regurgitate and attempted to put it into Fiji’s mouth. She didn’t nip her like she usually does and let her do it but did not open her mouth in return. Does this mean that Ki is starting to love Fiji ? And how can I get Fiji to reciprocate this love so they can stop the fighting?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
How old is Fiji?

I would just let them have more supervised play dates but you won't be able to get Fiji to do anything. If she wants to reciprocate, she will. Since you mentioned jealousy, does Fi try to feed you? Or is there any touching done by you in places other than the head?
They may never be a bonded pair but they can possibly learn to tolerate each other even though Ki is showing some interest. It takes two to tango but Fi may have put Ki in the friend zone or unsure what to make of the situation.

KiandFi

Moving in
Real Name
Ki
How old is Fiji?

I would just let them have more supervised play dates but you won't be able to get Fiji to do anything. If she wants to reciprocate, she will. Since you mentioned jealousy, does Fi try to feed you? Or is there any touching done by you in places other than the head?
They may never be a bonded pair but they can possibly learn to tolerate each other even though Ki is showing some interest. It takes two to tango but Fi may have put Ki in the friend zone or unsure what to make of the situation.
Unfortunately, We have no idea how old fiji is as a distant friend brought me her when she came to visit not knowing anything about her…
As this post was written some time ago I am seeing improvements in their friendship as I have been on holiday and they have had to spend time with each other. This means sitting close up together and at night being cuddled. However, as soon as I come into the picture fiji completely changes as when she is sitting on me she tries to bite ki anytime she comes and watches every move Ki makes when she comes on me. We find it quite funny as she really stares at what she is doing and tries to copy it after she has shooed ki away.

I can see my first bird Ki (3 years old) is attempting to become friends by trying to eat out of Fijis mouth, follow her, cuddle up next to her and making distinct sounds when looking at her. However, fiji quickly gets away or will bite back.
I think the problem may be fiji is too attached to me as she is always attempting to feed me and be with me any chance she gets. She will scratch at my mouth in attempts to get me to open it. I do not think it is anything I am doing though as she is afraid of most hands apart from mine but still does not let me touch from behind. Only where she can step up

I just want there friendship to change as I feel for Ki as it seems she just wants to be friends

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think all you can do is supervise and give them time. Two girls are the least likely to bond over a male male or male female pair. Given they will tolerate each other and even get close on some occassions is a good sign. Remember not to house them together until there is a clear bond.
If Fiji tries to feed you, distance yourself from that and put her down on the nearest bird safe surface.

I notice that some of my birds watch each other like that, not their own partners, but the other birds.

Introduce foraging trays, and plates of chopped veggies for them to share. These are flock activities and so doing them together hopefully can help them strengthen their relationship. Use plates/trays that are large enough that both birds can participte while also having enough room around them so they are not invading the others personal space, a tray the approx. size of a laptop would be a good choice.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am seeing improvements in their friendship as I have been on holiday and they have had to spend time with each other.
I´ll tag @Momo & Mido , she has two boys who were a little similar to this and also bonded a bit while boarded.