• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are my cookie sheets safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I didn't want to hijack Jans thread so decided I'd start my own.:o:
So I had thought that my coockie sheets had a nonstick coating to them thinking they were the ones that came from walmart but then I went and looked to see what brand they are and it's not the same brand but instead wearever brand. And the desciption says " 100% aluminum non-stick construction" for ones that look like mine that you can find online. So does this mean that mine are safe after all?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I think the issue is with the "non stick" I think anything that says non stick has Teflon in it

but i could be wrong, but that is how I understand it

I have pans that say non stick but I beg to differ with them every time i bang them on the counter for ticking me off - doesn't matter what I cook in them stuff sticks I can have oil, or even water in the pan the MEAT or noodles still sticks . so how they get that as non stick I dunno and it's done it since the day i got them

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Could you find it in this site?
WearEver Cookware Products
are they coated????
WearEver Bakeware Products

They aren't coated as far as I can tell.
I'm also wondering about my pizza pans because they do have a coating to them it seems. Not sure on their brand. Will have to see if I can trade with my mom she has just plain metal ones. At least I think they are just plain metal. Would I be able to see or feel the non stick coating if they had it?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
you should be able to tell

my mom has plain ones They look like Stainless steel they used to be shiny at one time but have been used and abused over the years..

but most pans that are coated are a dark ash grey color - or seems to be all the ones i've seen are.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Should be able to see it...Poppa just bought new pans to do baking in and bought aluminum that wasn't coated...we use parchment paper when doing breads/cakes/cookies on the pans...so much easier to clean up:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Ok. Thanks. I really think they must just be plain. I tried to call the company to see what they could tell me but it was after their customer service hours so will have to call back tomorrow. Can't beleive I never thought about them before.:o: Here I've had birds for soon to be 2 years.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I was in Macy's the other day, and I overheard one of their reps talking about why it would be better to switch from Nonstick to Stainless Steel and she started talking about bird health.
Had to stop and listen, of course, couldn't miss hearing another's perspective :o:

Anyways, she said its not necessarily the Teflon (which is a brand name) or non-stick surface that causes the toxicity for the birds, its the stuff they use to adhere the Teflon to a pan. She said that it had to be fired to a certain degree and left for a certain amount of time for the chemical to "burn off". She said that if you decided you wanted to continue to use nonstick pans, that you could do so, but you would need to buy a brand that already had this done to them, and then they would be perfectly safe for the birds. She mentioned that a couple of countertop appliances that have the nonstick surface would be safe as well, so long as they'd already had the chemical burned off of them.

She did, however, strongly advocate for the stainless steel set. While she said that the nonstick set they offered had already had the stuff cooked off of it and it would be safe, the Stainless Steel had a longer lifespan, and the teflon would chip more easily off of the pans that came pre-fired (which also makes sense). I don't know about you, I'm not willing to test it, but if there was more research to support what she was saying, I would assume your bakeware to be safe :)

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
For baking I use glass cookware. I got rid of anything I was not sure about when I read up on the dangers of Teflon.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was in Macy's the other day, and I overheard one of their reps talking about why it would be better to switch from Nonstick to Stainless Steel and she started talking about bird health.
Had to stop and listen, of course, couldn't miss hearing another's perspective :o:

Anyways, she said its not necessarily the Teflon (which is a brand name) or non-stick surface that causes the toxicity for the birds, its the stuff they use to adhere the Teflon to a pan. She said that it had to be fired to a certain degree and left for a certain amount of time for the chemical to "burn off". She said that if you decided you wanted to continue to use nonstick pans, that you could do so, but you would need to buy a brand that already had this done to them, and then they would be perfectly safe for the birds. She mentioned that a couple of countertop appliances that have the nonstick surface would be safe as well, so long as they'd already had the chemical burned off of them.

She did, however, strongly advocate for the stainless steel set. While she said that the nonstick set they offered had already had the stuff cooked off of it and it would be safe, the Stainless Steel had a longer lifespan, and the teflon would chip more easily off of the pans that came pre-fired (which also makes sense). I don't know about you, I'm not willing to test it, but if there was more research to support what she was saying, I would assume your bakeware to be safe :)
I believe she's misinformed; my understanding is that it is indeed the Teflon itself (polytetraflouethylene) that causes the fumes, but she's right that it is most dangerous upon being heated to a certain temperature. However, there is NO safe Teflon for birds, no matter how it's been pre-fired.

Here is some information:

Teflon / PTFE (non-stock-coating) Toxicity

Teflon Toxicity (PTFE Toxicosis) in Birds: Signs and Prevention

Hope this helps.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That is what I had been informed of too, but she was quick to correct me when I piped up. Ugh, I hope people take the time to do the research instead of just listening to what she says. So cookie sheets would be a nay then, if they have the nonstick on them which most of them do.

Status
Not open for further replies.