• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are my birds fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Sometimes, randomly my bbudgies will scream at one another and do this thing where it looks like they are fight kissing. lol. This is when they look like they're trying to bite each other's mouths. They will also knock each other off their swing sometimes and start screaming. Is this normal? Are they fighting? Is this fighting okay? If they're not fighting, what are they doing? lol Thanks! :hug8:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I see budgies in pet stores do this all the time.
Hopefully someone will have a better answer, but this seems pretty typical within the groups at stores at least.
Do they ever hurt each other? (Bleeding etc?)

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I see budgies in pet stores do this all the time.
Hopefully someone will have a better answer, but this seems pretty typical within the groups at stores at least.
Do they ever hurt each other? (Bleeding etc?)
I don't think they have ever hurt each other. It's weird they seem mad at one another for a while and then 10 minutes later, they are preening and snuggling and making out with each other. lol

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds do that very thing, then are best friends in a split second......I really dont know what the little monsters are thinking;

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
maybe its a budgie thing cause all of mine have done it also.and they always want the swing the other has and fight over it even though there is 2 identical swings in the cage.or maybe its establishing a top dog type of thing.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Its just a bickering pair thing. As long as no chasing occures or feather pulling or actual fighting, they are good :)

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
As long as no chasing occures
My linnie chases my cockatiel away from the treats when I put them on a towel and let everyone (I also have a parrotlet) enjoy at the same time. I always stop the linnie from chasing the cockatiel away but maybe I need to leave them (without anyone getting hurt of course) and let them establish the 'pecking order' so to speak. I wonder if disturbing their natural attempt at establishing a heirarchy is a good thing or a bad thing????? What do you guys think?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Birds dont have hierarchy amongst them . They do establish territory. Like us people who have homes, bedrooms, etc, birds will claim a place or territory as their own . We may be so "kind" and give them their own places in our home but birds are still so wild they'll always hang onto those behaviors. Which is why its best to let birds interact in neutral territory. This is good for certain people who are not liked by the birds. Which is why its important to have a large cage and quite afew play stands throughout the house. The bigger the birds territory and the more you have neutral territory the less problems you'll have.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
If they are drawing blood and stuff like that they need to be separated. If they both allow each other to eat there is a good chance it’s just a bickering couple. They should be okay. Just keep an eye on them to make sure it’s not too rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.