• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are most tiels...well..grouchy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethbeth428

Moving in
Real Name
Beth
I currently have 2 tiels, one I adopted off craigslist, he's 1 1/2 years old and the other I got at 6 months old. Neither bites but they threaten to bite all the time. I call them grouchy because if you walk by their cage and stop to talk to them they squabble and carry on, a hiss here and there, open beak etc. If I open the cage door and ask them to step up they do but not without all the "drama". I actually find it kind of cute but I have yet to meet a tiel that is not a grouch. Do you also find this as a common trait?

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yup, especially when they get all hormonal. :huh:

One of my 'tiels is molting at the moment and what I believe to be going through the hormonal stage. She's usually really, really sweet, and I could give her scratches all the time; but at the moment she's hissing and lunging at me, and touching her would mean I'll be left with bite marks in my hands/fingers. :rofl:

They all go through it though, could be the same for your two, may not be.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Evie is a grump when she is tired. Crash is a grump 24/7 LOL

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
My Daisy can get very moody... One minute I'm giving her scritches and she's loving it and then next minute she's hissing at me.. Um maybe I should call her Sybil? LOL

And my Mikey I just adapted so its too soon for me to tell why he hisses at me.. Probably just scared... Although he is hissing at me less and less :D

hsmoscout

:omg: I thought Peanut was the only one! :eek: It seems like he has severe mood swings. One minute I'm giving scritches and the next minute he wants NOTHING to do with me! :eek:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Well, it might be because my tiels are not pets and not caged but I don't think that any of them are grouchy. Quite the contrary, I find tiels to have the most even temperaments.

bethbeth428

Moving in
Real Name
Beth
They are compared to cockatoos, a distant cousin but I find young cockatoos to be nothing like a tiel. Cockatoos practically melt in your arms when you pat them where as tiels tolerate and slightly enjoy a head scritch now and then but are more independant and can easily change their mood.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I have some that goes both ways - - ok that doesn't sound right lol -- i have some who are grouchy all the time , others who are more curious but still don't want touched and if you try then they get grouchy

but all mine LOVE being talked to and will stop what they're doing to come closer to be talked to and chatter(none of em' talk) with us. But still don't touch because then Mr. or Miss. Grouch comes out LOL

but for the most part they're only grouchy if we try touching the ones who dislike being touched or some of them get grouchy if we touch their stuff but we can stand/sit there all day long and talk to them and they're just fine with that.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I currently have 2 tiels, one I adopted off craigslist, he's 1 1/2 years old and the other I got at 6 months old. Neither bites but they threaten to bite all the time. I call them grouchy because if you walk by their cage and stop to talk to them they squabble and carry on, a hiss here and there, open beak etc. If I open the cage door and ask them to step up they do but not without all the "drama". I actually find it kind of cute but I have yet to meet a tiel that is not a grouch. Do you also find this as a common trait?
Not really. I currently have three. Two of them are not as cuddly and sweet as the other one but I wouldn't call them grumpy. Try feeding them a little bit of millet after they step up. I have had a lot of tiels over the years, I haven't experienced the issues that a lot of people in this thread are talking about.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
They are compared to cockatoos, a distant cousin but I find young cockatoos to be nothing like a tiel. Cockatoos practically melt in your arms when you pat them where as tiels tolerate and slightly enjoy a head scritch now and then but are more independant and can easily change their mood.
All of the cockatiels that I have had as babies that were hand fed were VERY snuggly and cuddly. I have one now Feather, who is about 10 months old and she is just super sweet and snuggly. My two others Pegasus and Poupon were both rehomes. They are not as snuggly as Feather, but very sweet. Feather reminds me a little tiny cockatoo in fact that is how I describe her to people. :hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Yes, my cockatiels are like that sometimes also!

Budgie/bliss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Friesen
Mine can be a little grouchy as well. But I've never been bitten hard. There always begging for head scritches :heart: Sometimes I think it's those pin feathers on there heads and neck that can be rubbed the wrong way and then they protest :o:
When they preen each other and one has had enough they let them know with a gentle bite, I guess we are no different.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Mine get grumpy occasionally but for the most part they are very loving and cuddly.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Maybe I am the only one but I have to say that none of my tiels were ever grouchy. They have always loved being with people, getting attention, and getting petted. Squeeky is no different then the tiels I have had in the past. He is always sweet and singing a melody. He always has to be either with me, my mom, or his mirror friend. I hand fed Squeeky since he was 3 1/2 weeks old though.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Emily is sooooo NOT a grouch!!!
She is the sweetest cuddliest pleasant natured cockatiel, always flying to my shoulder even if the caiques are on me!!:eek::eek:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Emily is sooooo NOT a grouch!!!
She is the sweetest cuddliest pleasant natured cockatiel, always flying to my shoulder even if the caiques are on me!!:eek::eek:
Phew glad I am not the only one. Was starting to think maybe I was a little weird :hehe:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
i LIVE WITH THE QUEEN OF THE GROUCHES. so yes ...lol

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Mine is sweet MOST of the time except when she doesn't want to be moved. Like when she's sleeping or when she found a toy she's not supposed to be playing with! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.