• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Mirror Like Toys Okay? Plus Tips For a New Lovebird Owner!

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
After having to unexpectedly give away my cockatiels because of very serious health issues, I am to the point I can adopt another bird. I was going to get a cockatiel again, but I fell in love with a lovebird!

Her name is Jubilee (last owners called her Jubee for short) and she is 1.5 years old. I know you are suppose to wait a week before interacting with them but she took to me right away and is now eating millet from my hand. I haven't taken her out yet but that will happen in time. I am not over doing it with the millet either, just once a few hours for five minutes.

Anyway, I know that usually mirrors are frowned upon but I was wondering if a toy that has a distorted mirror is okay? I have a toy that looks like a house and has little toys in the front of the mirror for her to move around and she is just enjoying it. But I want to know if this is okay for her.

Also, I'd love some tips to help me out with her! I did my research before getting her, but personal experiences are way better. When do they get hormonal and what can I do to help her when she is?

They were feeding her seeds (from walmart...) and fruits and veggies. What are some tips to help her like Harrisons? I saw their conversion method but would like others help with it. Also, what toys do they like? Foraging, shiny ones, ones they can tear up, etc?

Thanks guys!

00p0p_4bJMvAFaDpK_600x450[1].jpg

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
She is adorable!
About the mirrors... from experience, I try to avoid it. We have a big mirror in our living room and when it is that season it really gets her in 'the mood'. But I think on this and the other topics, there are people here who really have the experience and knowledge you need.
I'm curious... do you have a photo of the toy? It does sound fun!

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Okay! Thanks! I will take it away if she gets too interested in it, but at the moment she is much more interested in the toys than the mirror behind them. Plus it looks distorted so it is more like just a reflection than herself, if that makes sense...

Here is a photo:

IMAG0158[1].jpg

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Your baby is waaay cute!!! Many Congrats and so glad to hear you're feeling better!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had that toy for a while and there were no problems. Jubee is so adorable. I had a female love bird and she loved to chew paper things. Even liked those small brown paper bags and would crawl inside.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Your baby is waaay cute!!! Many Congrats and so glad to hear you're feeling better!
Thank you so much!!! I am so happy to be feeling better as well. I am a strong believer that a pet is a life long commitment and it hurt me so deeply to give them away. But now I know I can do my best for Jubee. :)

I had that toy for a while and there were no problems. Jubee is so adorable. I had a female love bird and she loved to chew paper things. Even liked those small brown paper bags and would crawl inside.
Awesome! I am so glad to hear that because she seems to enjoy it! The previous owners said she loves to chew paper as well. :p I think that some birds do it is to gather nesting materials, is what I read.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think that toy could be okay, but if she spends an unnatural amount of time near it, take it away:)(like obssesive instead of enjoyment)
Congrats on that cutie!! And thanks for adopting:)
Go at her pace, don’t force her, give her a treat when you walk by, back off when she is scared, talk and read to her, and you should be on your way to a good relationship:p About the healthy eating, here is an awesome thread:
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Sprouting seeds and making birdie Bread can make easily accepted healthy additions to the diet too!
Great stickies(the green threads) over here to read when you feel like it:
Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My lovebird customers love paper, yucca, and balsa! One also really likes beads.

As for Harrison's, that can be a struggle. I usually have more luck feeding Zupreem Fruity to start and then transition from there. Otherwise I've had moderate success with making a paste with the pellets (by using either crushed pellets or the Harrison's Mash and wetting it with veggie baby food) and mixing with the seeds so they have to dig out the seeds and consequently try the pellets.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been eyeing that toy for my lovebird, but seriously I need to pause on buying her stuff! I have that one that is like a small alcove in her cage and she does enjoy it, but mainly she uses it as a shelf for food or she'll sit in there and chatter. It's kind of dusty and not so clear now so hopefully that helps! She's definitely not obsessed with it. Little Jubee is such a cutie! You'll love how silly and playful lovies are, mine is quite a goofball.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
She allowed me to touch her today while feeding her millet without running away! I am so proud of her! She loves to circle the toys in front of the mirror and play with them more then the mirror itself. So I think she is good with it. She is such a goofball as well lol. She protests everytime I take her millet away. And she loves to dance, nod her head etc.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Indie's favourite toys are ones she can shred. She loves Planet Pleasures toys, as they're made of dyed palm and it's SUPER fun to destroy. Her favourites have been the foraging pineapple and the brush/broom. She also likes balsa, cork, and crinkle paper - although she really doesn't play with toys unless they're outside her cage and when she does, it's ALL at once! Haha! She's a bit persnickety.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Indie's favourite toys are ones she can shred. She loves Planet Pleasures toys, as they're made of dyed palm and it's SUPER fun to destroy. Her favourites have been the foraging pineapple and the brush/broom. She also likes balsa, cork, and crinkle paper - although she really doesn't play with toys unless they're outside her cage and when she does, it's ALL at once! Haha! She's a bit persnickety.
Haha mine hasn't taken to those yet but she does love anything vine or yucca! She just realized she likes the finger traps too. Another thing is a toy that she can jingle, like with plastic beads or even just some plastic c clips. She'll grab ahold and shake it like she's a dog!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
My boys love shredding paper carrying it around in their beaks, and then dropping it and watching it fall. That is the most they ever do with it. They never tuck it under their wings and take it inside the coconut like a female would. They have never displayed that behavior. They mainly like carrying it around and then dropping it. They also like being little buzz saws and chewing away at their wooden toys. Lots of splintered wood from their hanging wooden toys on the ground around the cage at the end of the day. Mine can dismantle a Macaw size wooden toy that is held together with knotted ropes. they start biting the wood and the knots and in about four months the wooden platforms start dropping off. I went through three of those XL hanging wooden platforms in a year last year and am on number two for this year. They think it's their "tree" and love climbing all through it and disappearing and peaking out at me from it. Love my little "buzz saws".