• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Meyers good candidates for apartments?

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I currently have a lovebird and in a couple years I will be moving out into an apartment for university. I would do a dorm but since I have animals I'm not allowed to go into one. Basically I don't intend on many more birds since they are so much work, but I would love a Meyers (or any poi for that matter lol). I was wondering if they would be ok in an apartment, if not I will just wait until Im in a better situation to get another parrot. Also how are Meyers parrots overall, I've read the good, bad and ugly thread but any other advice is 100% welcome

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That would depend on the bird entirely, as well as yoursel. Pois are considered one of the quieter species, but I recall a senegal that was *LOUD*! He had one sound that he was really good at copying, at a high decibel! Would not consider him a good apartment bird! But other people have had success keeping them as apartment birds!

It can also depend on what place you move into... some places have great sound proofing between apartments where-as others you can hear just about everything in the one next to you...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My Meyers is super quiet. I'd have to say she's the quietest birdie that I have. She's also a little cuddle bug! Very inquisitive and she loves to fly.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Honestly with school and your current animals Id wait till you are in a more solid situtation. Your current bird will thank you because your time is going to be crunched and to split crunch time between your animals and a new baby meyers I wouldnt recommend right now.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Honestly with school and your current animals Id wait till you are in a more solid situtation. Your current bird will thank you because your time is going to be crunched and to split crunch time between your animals and a new baby meyers I wouldnt recommend right now.
Yeah I want to wait until Im done with university but I probably will have to stay in an apartment since where I live houses are basically just for the 1% unless you want to live in the slums

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
My Meyers is super quiet. I'd have to say she's the quietest birdie that I have. She's also a little cuddle bug! Very inquisitive and she loves to fly.
How would you compare overall noise level to lovebirds?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@malibu, I've never parronted lovebirds, so I'm not certain. Chloe is very quiet. My second quietest bird is Teak, who is a Jardines (poi).

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Yeah I want to wait until Im done with university but I probably will have to stay in an apartment since where I live houses are basically just for the 1% unless you want to live in the slums
Oh h e ll no stay out of the slums and always carry a pocket knife on you. One that clips on to your pants and is spring loaded. Good luck in school and ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.