• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are lovebirds mates for life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
The babies are both big now and in the birdroom with all the other small birds. I noticed that Stormy has taken quite a liking to Clover. He is constantly chasing her and trying to feed her. Not like a baby feeding (he doesnt know this is his daughter) im talking regurgitating like he does with Lizzy. Lizzy isnt too fond of it, and goes out of her way to chase them away from Stormy..but i just find it odd! What a little flirt!
So my question is is Stormy Lizzy's mate for life? Or can he just "change his mind" and go for another female?? I find this so strange. I guess im so used to my tiels Curly and BJ. Theyve been bonded for 14 years...they dont even LOOK at other tiels! :eek:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I think it would depend on the individual birds. My Leyla and Nin have been mates for 6 years (their whole lives) and neither have flirted with the other lovies. I think they *usually* mate for life? But in a flock setting with other lovies around, I would think they'd be more likely to change mates. I'm not 100% sure though, it will be interesting to hear other's experiences too:)

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Some are just like that, some aren't. I have some females who will let anything with feathers help them out and I have males (with their own mates) who will volunteer for the job (leaving the 'mate' on the sidelines whistling!). A lot of the times...a bond is not a really tight bond, it was just the only one available. It's not unreasonable for Stormy to decide he likes Clover more than Lizzy.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Aw thats so sad tho! lol. Poor Lizzy =/ Well i ended up moving the babies downstairs because i found Lucky with a bloody toe! I have a FEELING i know who it is (liz..) so i think keeping them separated might be for the best!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't believe that most birds mate for life, and I don't believe they have morals, even in the wild - aka, they find it perfectly acceptable to mate with their offspring, and probably brother/sisters, too.

Having said that, I have a pair of cockatiels that are 13+ years old and quite bonded. The male has sung to another hen before, but I think it was more because he was in the mood for singing, and not for swooning. This other hen has quite the crush on Pistachio to the point that she follows him, but he in turn chases her off and walks back to his perch, only for Faye to follow him back. Sometimes they even repeat this, several times.

On the flip side, I used to have a pair of bourkes, and the father mated with both his mate as well as his daughter. Both laid eggs, but the daughters eggs were destroyed from being laid from a perch, since I separated her. I still have the daughter, and she's 14-16 years old now. I've had her for 9 years.

I don't believe that it depends on species, I believe it genuinely depends on the birds themselves as to whether or not they 'mate for life.' I'd say what you are seeing is rather normal in your lovies.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I think everyone is right, it depends on the indvidual. not the species. When I was a kid, we used to have a bonded pair of budgies (Perdita and Whitey). They were completely devoted to each other. It was really cute. There was multiple budgies that shared the cage, and before we got Whitey, Perdita would flirt with one of females, Rainbow. But when we got Whitey, it was love at first sight. :lol:He woud always stick by her side and was so loyal. After several happy years of "marriage", she died of egg binding. Perdita became depressed and he passed away about a month later. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.