• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Linnie's at all cuddly?

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've been toying with the idea of getting a parrot for about six months. I've been following a rescue group for about three. I am getting antsy to get a bird for my home. I was set on a green cheek conure. I love how silly they can be and how cuddly. I like their size and colour. I have been patiently waiting for an older bird to come available - it's hard to fathom getting a baby and having it for 30 years. The other species that I keep coming back to are linnies. I love their sweet little voices and by all counts, they are undemanding little creatures. And there is a breeder close by who has two cobalts - they are so beautiful!

We are currently "redistributing" the rooms in our house, and there will be a room that can be a bird room, with a comfy chair for us to hang out in there. We currently have a canary who will likely move in there but stay in his cage. The room will be filled with safe plants and toys. My daughter is very crafty and enjoys making hanging things. I am a single parent with two teenagers who are just as pet crazy as I am, and help out a lot on days I work (I'm a nurse, so I'm pretty much gone all day, but only 2 or 3 days a week).

My question is: is a linnie just a canary that you can let out of the cage? How trainable are they? I don't need them to do tricks but target training for safety would be good. How cuddly are they? I know each individual is different but generally? Can I expect it to step up? Sit on my shoulder? They seem so tiny, I'm a little intimidated by how small they are.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I have both Linnie’s and a Green Cheek, they all are different, one of my Linnie’s is a magnet, she goes with me everywhere, from the time I wake up, she loves kisses, showers, you name it, she’s just perfect! My other little guy is a year and still shy, he’s funny but will not let you pick him up, he will climb on you on his terms, the two have not bonded at all, I think Summer is scared of him, but he tries every day lol. My conure was a rescue, he’s 17, he really don’t play much, he just hangs out on top of his cage, he will walk around the house from time to time, but that’s about all, none of my birds are nippy, they all love being out for the day, they all have there area, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one, but my Linnie’s love love love!! Good luck, please let everyone know what you have decided!!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Linnies are super friendly, happy to be on my shoulder and lap, burrowing in my clothing and just near me. My 3 year old Gigi prefers I not touch her with my hand, but I can smoosh her under my chin and she loves it. She has a great step up when she must, at the vet, off the floor, from the shower. My 3 month old Dori has no problem with my hands, but not much a step up. I can pet her on the head and neck and she happily leans forward and fluffs up. I've had big birds and my girls don't seem that small to me. They are bigger than a budgie and have a solid feel to them. Seriously when they land on my shoulder, it's a thud.

Gigi has some skills. She does 3 trick whistles. When I open her cage in late morning I say "Do your poop first" and she does it before flying out. I can say "Gimme a shoulder girl" after her bath and she flies there. I can tap the sofa arm and say "I want that bird right here!" and she comes. In the afternoon I say very quietly "Gigi, I have an idea." She goes nuts, flying about and making loud crazy laser sounds and then I whisper "Do you want an apple?" The lasers continue until I deliver the treat. It's just so funny. Baby Dori is getting the hang of our routines now and participates too. Both girls love to fly and if I am clapping and cheering them on they do noisy loops around the room, land and take off again. Super cute.

Both birds are very interested in family and friends, coming to the side of the cage to interact. I think Linnies are awesome birds. Your set up sounds great. Good luck with your decision. Cobalts are gorgeous.