• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are knit/crocheted toys safe?

BagelBites

Checking out the neighborhood
I was wondering if I could knit or crochet some toys for a bird. I’m worried they could get a loose thread and get tangled, or get their claws stuck in the yarn.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That would be my concern, too. Additionally they may ingest the fibers which can cause crop impaction. I personally wouldn't risk it

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I would agree that it would be too risky. But, (and I say this as someone who doesn't have a clue about crocheting), would you be able to make something using your skills but instead of yarn, using hemp string? It would still be potentially risky in the sense of getting tangled (unless the loops are really large), but the fiber itself would be a lot safer.

BagelBites

Checking out the neighborhood
I would agree that it would be too risky. But, (and I say this as someone who doesn't have a clue about crocheting), would you be able to make something using your skills but instead of yarn, using hemp string? It would still be potentially risky in the sense of getting tangled (unless the loops are really large), but the fiber itself would be a lot safer.
Yes, I’m pretty sure I could do that. There are also yarns intended for baby blankets that have a different texture and fibres that can’t separate from each other so it might be safer.