• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are IRNs generally cuddly birds?

birdMama10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sloane
I’m a bird mama of two Bourke’s parrots and I love them to death. They are tame and hand trained but Bourkes are not a species that likes to hang out on your shoulder or be on you, give them a kiss, etc.
I’ve been wanting a handfed IRN for over a year now and I really want to know if they’re generally a species that likes to hang out on their owner and bonds easily? I see a lot of pics and videos of others and they like to so I’m hoping they generally are like that (though I know each bird is different). I know GC Conures are like that and they always like to be on and around their owner. So I’m guessing how they are in this manner compared to GCCs? Are they easily to bond with as far as hanging out on you?
I would hate to get an IRN and have them want nothing to do with me or not want to hang out on me.
Thanks for anyone’s help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone refer to their IRN as cuddly but I could be wrong.

Remember that all birds are different. My Green cheek was pretty independent and did not want to be on me all the time... Just short bursts. ;)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve heard from IRN owners that they’re not usually cuddly, though there are always exceptions.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs are not cuddly birds! They are very intelligent and independent birds,though.
If you're looking for a great, non-cuddly companion, an IRN is a good choice...

birdMama10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sloane
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone refer to their IRN as cuddly but I could be wrong.

Remember that all birds are different. My Green cheek was pretty independent and did not want to be on me all the time... Just short bursts. ;)
Ok thanks so much I’ll get check it out. I guess I just mean cuddly as in will hang out on your head/shoulder while you’re chilling watching tv or studying/reading. Just being comfortable on you. Not like snuggly want the bird curled up under my neck. Should’ve used a different word other than cuddly

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I think the term you are looking for is "velcro bird". A bird that wants to be with you or near you all the time.

From what I have heard about ringnecks, they are pretty independent. You might luck out and get one that likes sticking close, but it would be a gamble.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@Destiny ...I agree with you totally. IRNs are vastly underrated as a species,just because people consider them "aloof" and high strung. That is their opinion,but, from personal observation (26 years with Titan) they would be wrong.
For the right person,an IRN can be a magnificent companion bird...provided that person can accept the bird as a unique part of the animal world...

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Most of the time, no, there are some exceptions, If they are once cuddly they will always be cuddly, from personal experience non-hand tamed ringnecks are very skittish

Also, if a ringneck has one bad experience with hands he will most likely be very scared of them

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I've heard IRNs, and Asiatic parakeets in general, described as 'touch me not' birds.

I imagine a GCC would be a lot more appreciative of cuddling in general.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Like I said before, IRNs are a vastly underrated species. We had the pleasure of Titan's company for 26 years. He made countless pet visits and made countless people of all ages happy.
I remain so very proud of him...:irn:

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
This is a great representation of Kyra's attitude to scritches and kisses - Kyra kisses, no touch! If I have her on her window perch, she'll accept scritches happily. Otherwise it's kisses but NO TOUCHY! I can't to other IRNs, but Kyra's cuddliness is limited to what food I'm holding...:rofl:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan was the same way.
Like I've posted before, he was our very first "Birdie Ambassador"... 30 years ago!
His favorite thing was to recieve kisses...but touching of ANY kind was strictly forbidden...under penality of him flying back to us.
Titan NEVER bit anyone...in 26 years!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
His favorite thing was to recieve kisses...but touching of ANY kind was strictly forbidden...under penality of him flying back to us.
Kyra let's me give her scritches, but it has to be under HER specific conditions, and I'm fine with that. I did get quite the bite from her the other day (broke the skin on my finger), but it was 100% MY fault - I failed to realize she was being defensive as opposed to reaching out to step up. Body language is so important!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Kyra let's me give her scritches, but it has to be under HER specific conditions, and I'm fine with that. I did get quite the bite from her the other day (broke the skin on my finger), but it was 100% MY fault - I failed to realize she was being defensive as opposed to reaching out to step up. Body language is so important!
How true!
IRNs are very good expressing their moods with their body language...

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Titan was the same way.
Like I've posted before, he was our very first "Birdie Ambassador"... 30 years ago!
Bob, can you plz give me the thread about Titan being an escape artist! I was trying to find that story, such a lovely write up.