• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are IRNs affectionate?

Kima

Meeting neighbors
I had a Parrotlet (over rainbow now :sorrow:) and now have a Quaker, both are very cuddly. I recently got an IRN rescue who, at this point, is terrified of me. Eventually, what is the best I can hope for? Is it normal for a calm, secure IRN to be affectionate with people?

Please show me your Keets being affectionate :hug2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
"Affectionate" is a word usually not associated with most IRNs...they're more independent, respectful type of bird. Titan, who was with us 26 years, would love to sit on your shoulder and ask for kisses...but he never wanted any touching or cuddling. I believe he was typical of the species.

IRNs are a wonderful species...intelligent and loyal to their people. They're also very curious about their surroundings....just cuddly, they aren't...;)

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
In my experience other than Glenn, it's a dice roll. Sometimes they're sweet, loveable talkers and sometimes not. Some members have great bonds with their IRNs while others don't.

Try reading the GOD, BAD, UGLY species thread, but remember, every bird is an individual.

Assumedly, you know that rescues usually take longer to bond or even be friendly. Rescue birds of any species require patience. They often come with a host of bad habits. It's very important to visit the AV more often with rescues, too.

Kima

Meeting neighbors
In my experience other than Glenn, it's a dice roll. Sometimes they're sweet, loveable talkers and sometimes not. Some members have great bonds with their IRNs while others don't.

Try reading the GOD, BAD, UGLY species thread, but remember, every bird is an individual.

Assumedly, you know that rescues usually take longer to bond or even be friendly. Rescue birds of any species require patience. They often come with a host of bad habits. It's very important to visit the AV more often with rescues, too.
Yes know a lot about rescues. I got her (IRN) because I'm going to be home a lot less for a while and my Quaker is super attached to me, so wanted a companion for him.

Do IRNs make good companion birds for other medium sized parrot breads??? :thankyou:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Make sure to go at her pace and pay close attention to her body language.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
No. Most members have extensive rescue and rehome experience!

As a side note, make sure and follow quarantine procedures with any bird joining your flock. Also, make sure the AV tests for PBFD!

Kima

Meeting neighbors
"Affectionate" is a word usually not associated with most IRNs...they're more independent, respectful type of bird. Titan, who was with us 26 years, would love to sit on your shoulder and ask for kisses...but he never wanted any touching or cuddling. I believe he was typical of the species.

IRNs are a wonderful species...intelligent and loyal to their people. They're also very curious about their surroundings....just cuddly, they aren't...;)
Do IRNs make good companion birds for other medium sized parrot breads??? :thankyou:

Kima

Meeting neighbors
No. Most members have extensive rescue and rehome experience!

As a side note, make sure and follow quarantine procedures with any bird joining your flock. Also, make sure the AV tests for PBFD!
"No" they don't. I rescued both my birds from a well known and well respected Avian vet. I'm am in good hands there...just want answers to behavi

Kima

Meeting neighbors
I was told IRAs and Quakers are compatible. Many owners on my Quaker forum have IRAs as companions :glare:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
You asked and I gave an honest answer. Even the video doesn't convince me that IRNs make compatible companions to non-IRNs.

Most of my birds were the result of AV directions/suggestions. Most members will recommend either AV or sanctuary birds.

Kima

Meeting neighbors
You asked and I gave an honest answer. Even the video doesn't convince me that IRNs make compatible companions to non-IRNs.

Most of my birds were the result of AV directions/suggestions. Most members will recommend either AV or sanctuary birds.
Well that's a pickle! I wanted a bird for my Quaker who is super attached to me, hates everyone else (but likes other birds) and I'm going away for over a month this summer (pet sitter, but he won't bond with her.) It would be a shame to give IRN back, she made such wonderful progress with me, but I don't have space for more than 2 birds.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
How many birds do you have? I said IN MY EXPERIENCE and that videos didn't convince me to ignore my experience.

My birdsitter visits here sporadically and is the TREAT- GIVER then, so he and the birds know and trust each other.

You want a Quaker that has bonding problems to bond with an IRN? You think your only option is returning the IRN? No doubt the IRN has been rejected alot already. Were you not prepared for them to not get along? Did you not know rescues have bonding issues?

Kima

Meeting neighbors
How many birds do you have? I said IN MY EXPERIENCE and that videos didn't convince me to ignore my experience.

My birdsitter visits here sporadically and is the TREAT- GIVER then, so he and the birds know and trust each other.

You want a Quaker that has bonding problems to bond with an IRN? You think your only option is returning the IRN? No doubt the IRN has been rejected alot already. Were you not prepared for them to not get along? Did you not know rescues have bonding issues?
And I think you keep jumping to conclusions. Let's just leave it at this. Maybe I will hear from some other people.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to admit that the second video worries me - I see behaviour that could easily become aggressive. The Quaker does not seem to be happy in that situation and the raised head feathers look aggressive. I find IRNs hard to read but the way that the bird keeps approaching the Quaker with eye pinning and its beak open despite the Quaker looking uncomfortable does not fill me with confidence. IRNs are really, really social - there are feral flocks where I live and it's rare to see or hear just one - but they seem to get on best with other IRNs.

I think you have the issues of two dramatically different birds - one Old World and one New World - with very different behaviours and very different ways of expressing emotion. It can be hard for them to read each other. Birds that are more similar seem to have an easier time of it e.g. Amazons *seem* to be able to read other Amazons more easily, even if they are not the same species.

Kima

Meeting neighbors
I have to admit that the second video worries me - I see behaviour that could easily become aggressive. The Quaker does not seem to be happy in that situation and the raised head feathers look aggressive. I find IRNs hard to read but the way that the bird keeps approaching the Quaker with eye pinning and its beak open despite the Quaker looking uncomfortable does not fill me with confidence. IRNs are really, really social - there are feral flocks where I live and it's rare to see or hear just one - but they seem to get on best with other IRNs.

I think you have the issues of two dramatically different birds - one Old World and one New World - with very different behaviours and very different ways of expressing emotion. It can be hard for them to read each other. Birds that are more similar seem to have an easier time of it e.g. Amazons *seem* to be able to read other Amazons more easily, even if they are not the same species.
I just put the video there as an example. I'm on a number of Quaker forums and there are people who have a IRNs as companions or who at least tolerate them. I don't need them to fall in love or share a cage (not a option with a Quaker) I'm just hoping they can keep each other company. BTW...they are both flightless.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...again, from my experience with Titan and with what I've heard from others with IRNs, they really don't care much for being with other birds...I chalk that up to their independent streak...:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan was in an area populated with tiels, budgies, and conures...he never really went out of his way to interact with any of them...

Kima

Meeting neighbors
...again, from my experience with Titan and with what I've heard from others with IRNs, they really don't care much for being with other birds...I chalk that up to their independent streak...:)
tka says they are "very social" but you are saying not with other birds, so with people. Oh gosh, this is not good as my Quaker is VERY attached to me and I know he will be jealous. I don't want to give the IRN back, but I cannot house or afford more than 2 birds. I just don't know what to do! :hangin: