• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are heaters safe?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This makes me super nervous, personally. I don't like any heat source that birds can touch; the potential risk of overheating and causing burns isn't worth it, imo, and I don't like having wires of any kind near the cage. I feel the same way about basking rocks for reptiles.

If you want to provide some additional warmth for your fid, maybe an oil-filled radiator style heater would work for you! They're great for warming up bird rooms. :)

Mero64

Meeting neighbors
This makes me super nervous, personally. I don't like any heat source that birds can touch; the potential risk of overheating and causing burns isn't worth it, imo, and I don't like having wires of any kind near the cage. I feel the same way about basking rocks for reptiles.

If you want to provide some additional warmth for your fid, maybe an oil-filled radiator style heater would work for you! They're great for warming up bird rooms. :)
Thanks!! You’re right why take the risk.. I just thought how neat it would be for him.. even if it’s just to give a little comfort since I refuse to give him a hut of any kind.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm the link doesn’t work for me.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have that heater, but my bird is terrified of it. And it doesn't get very warm either. I would suggest an oil-filled radiator for a whole room, or a ceramic heat emitter for a small area (like a cage). I have a ceramic heat emitter for my bird, and it helps him stay nice and warm without letting him touch the bulb.