• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are fumigated sea grass mats really safe?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Hello!
For my birds hut, I get the one from MySafeBirdStore which has no stitching on it.
It has a seagrass mat as the bottom part.
My birdy likes to chew these up.
I've ordered replacements already which they smell, mostly natural but just want to be sure they are safe as they are fumigated.

Is this really safe especially since she likes chewing them up?

Thanks!

Link for the mats -

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
All seagrass stuff seems to have a real funky smell to it which I honestly find quite sickening. Even though I find the smell really gross, every place you search to find bird safe products has seagrass rope or mats so with how many people use it I am sure if there was an issue it would be rather obvious by now.
@Mizzely, can you shed any light on the safety of the fumigation info?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I always use HOT running water to rinse any grass mats to get a handle on any smell and/or fungus which may be hiding in the fibers. It really does work to get rid of the fumigation smells and I feel better allowing my birds to chew on and destroy the mats; which they absolutely love to do. I just boil tap water, let it cool for two minutes so the steam doesn't cook my fingers and then pour it through the mats. If it is summer, I hang them up on a line out in the sun. If the winter, I bake them in a 150F oven until dry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine have never had a funky smell honestly! But regardless, I would say a vast majority of the toys on the US market contain items that have gone through the process. It's to combat pest, etc. A lot of the natural fiber items (vine, seagrass, etc) come from the Philipines or other Eastern countries, so unless you stick to all pine toys, you'd be hardpressed to find a 100% American materials bird toy.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
But
Mine have never had a funky smell honestly! But regardless, I would say a vast majority of the toys on the US market contain items that have gone through the process. It's to combat pest, etc. A lot of the natural fiber items (vine, seagrass, etc) come from the Philipines or other Eastern countries, so unless you stick to all pine toys, you'd be hardpressed to find a 100% American materials bird toy.
But it is totally safe?
That's all I'm concerned about.

Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But

But it is totally safe?
That's all I'm concerned about.

Thank you!
My opinion is yes. All of the ones your bird has already been chewing have already gone through the same thing :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From my understanding, even organic foods that come into the US can or do go through this fumigation process, and in order to maintain the organic label, they have to use something "safe". Plus, of course, we will also be ingesting it.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
From my understanding, even organic foods that come into the US can or do go through this fumigation process, and in order to maintain the organic label, they have to use something "safe". Plus, of course, we will also be ingesting it.
Thanks so much for your reply, it makes me feel much better.

I always worry about my birdy because she means so much to me so I appreciate the answers!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks so much for your reply, it makes me feel much better.

I always worry about my birdy because she means so much to me so I appreciate the answers!
All of our birds are loved beyond measure here :) : :hug8: