• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are English budgies quieter?

Merlin da

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone, I've read that English budgies tend to make less noise and have a deeper chirp than Australian budgies. According to your experience and research, what do you think about this? I know it often depends on the individual bird, but in general, what are your thoughts?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
When they're quiet they're very quiet, and when they're loud they're very loud :lol:
They do seem to be quieter then the Aussies in general, I was actually concerned because Emelia didn't make a sound for like two days after I got her, but she does have a very loud contact call when she wants to make a noise.
@Lady Jane @Kiwi's Mom

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
They are not quieter in my experience. (I own and breed both types)

When I first started with English budgies, I was expecting something totally different. But mine are loud, outgoing, chatty, screamy, talkative, and just as much fun as the regular variety. The only difference I have found is that they are much less flighty. I always have a hard time catching the american budgies, but the English Budgies are much more calm and don't fly away, i can literally "pluck" one off a perch without them taking off.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They are not quieter in my experience. (I own and breed both types)
I agree with you @PoukieBear It may depend on how many one has. I have only had two at a time, never just one and they were in no way quiet. People told me they could hear them out in the hallway. Two or more together seem to do more budgie chatter than just a single bird, especially if one is a female who is always bossing around the male partner.