• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are cat wicker balls safe for birds?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Ok, so I saw my local pet store carry just packs of these wicker balls(I’ll attach an image below below). But I did find them in the cat section. My birds love wicker balls/rattan balls, so I’m wondering if they are safe. I’ve seen people give birds those plastic ball size with a bell in it, but I’m not too sure. (The image was from a website review section, lol) 4B82806C-945D-4519-A042-6D3231D43CAD.jpeg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Biggest question mark is the dyes. If they were undyed, I wouldn't be too worried. And technically, they SHOULD use non-toxic dyes for pet toys. But cats do not chew on their toys in the same way as a bird and they are more sensitive to some toxins.

There is a risk that the dyes might not be bird safe.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Biggest question mark is the dyes. If they were undyed, I wouldn't be too worried. And technically, they SHOULD use non-toxic dyes for pet toys. But cats do not chew on their toys in the same way as a bird and they are more sensitive to some toxins.

There is a risk that the dyes might not be bird safe.
Alright, thank you. That’s good point, cats really just paw their toy s unlike birds. Thank you!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try to rub one with water if the color bleeds or comes off it’s food dye and safe overall it seems safe as long as the dye is food dye and there isn’t any catnip

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Try to rub one with water if the color bleeds or comes off it’s food dye and safe overall it seems safe as long as the dye is food dye and there isn’t any catnip
I haven’t thought of that! I will definitely test that out. Thanks for your reply!