• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are carved dowel perches ok?

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
I have two budgies, and their cage came with smooth dowel perches, as many cages do. I know that smooth dowel perches aren't good for birds' feet, but I don't want them to go to waste. So, I was wondering if it would be ok to carve the perches and make them uneven so that the birds could use them, but it would be ok for their feet. Is this a good idea?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a couple of carved dowel perches in one of my cages and they where fine but i have replaced them with natural perches now. a good selection of different type perches is better long term.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The wood of dowels easily splinter. Wood from safe trees is much better. I bought a tree identification book and went perch hunting after wind storms. You can find freshly fallen twigs and branches. After cleaning them i zip tied them in the cage. Best perches i ever had. Budgies did not bother the zip ties. The willow tree has wonderful curved and twisted branches.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Good question @Birds4evr and I wonder the same thing. Other than the risk of splinters, are there any other issues with carved dowel perches?

My budgies love having one long perch in the cage to chase each other back and forth on, and I couldn't find natural perches that fit that exact length. So I learned to whittle wood to adapt one of the dowel perches that came with the cage. I created thicker/thinner sections, sections where the wood bumps up and curves down, etc. then sanded it really well to get rid of any splinters.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The diameter of dowel perches is always the same measurment. Best for birds to be on a natural perch which can have different diameters on the same perch. Good for feet.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Good question @Birds4evrI couldn't find natural perches that fit that exact length.
What is the width of your cage? I recently purchased several natural perches from Etsy (I'll link shop below) that were nicely made. One was 24" long and mostly straight. Usually if you message people on etsy, they'll usually make custom stuff.

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
What is the width of your cage? I recently purchased several natural perches from Etsy (I'll link shop below) that were nicely made. One was 24" long and mostly straight. Usually if you message people on etsy, they'll usually make custom stuff.

thanks! I'll look into this and see about getting some.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@Ripshod uses carved dowels if I am remembering correctly.
Also carving the dowel and then wrapping in vet wrap would deal with the splintering.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I do have 3 carved dowel perches wrapped in vet wrap where my flock roosts at night. I've never had a problem with them.
The idea of carving them is to give an irregular surface and a varying diameter while preventing bumblefoot. Also saves waste.
The vet wrap is to prevent splinters, improve grip and basically something soft and comfortable to grip for the whole night.

Last edited:

StellaLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I agree that natural wood porches are better. I just wanted to use them for something.
I wrap mine with vet wrap, and keep them in various parts of my house in order to retrieve my birds from the curtain rod, etc.
I highly recommend! It's saved me a lot of time and hassle. (Mine know the step up command, YMMV)

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
I wrap mine with vet wrap, and keep them in various parts of my house in order to retrieve my birds from the curtain rod, etc.
I highly recommend! It's saved me a lot of time and hassle. (Mine know the step up command, YMMV)
Thanks! That's a really good idea.