• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are cardboard safe?

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
So I recently cut out some cardboard pieces from ikeas packaging and toilet paper rolls(photos attached) to make bird toys. Then, I came across a article that said that corrugated cardboard and toilet paper rolls are not safe for parrots. I doubt this is true because a lot of parrot toys contain these types of cardboards. Has anyone had any issues with them? Are they really unsafe or the article is just being dramatic?
Thanks! 20210820_175844.jpg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if all cardboard is safe, but I've bought toys from vendors here that contain cardboard. That said, I suspect one of my budgies, Pistachio, has pica & eats paper/ cardboard.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
toilet paper rolls are not safe for parrots.
I only give toilet paper tubes from the rolls I use in the living room for cleaning up after the birds, as the tubes haven´t been in the bathroom. Depending on the brand, if there´s glue or anything on the tubes, then do not use.
You can use kitchen paper tubes too, again be sure no glue on the tubes.

Cereal boxes and the likes are safe.

I suspect one of my budgies, Pistachio, has pica
If you think this, then remove all paper and cardboard from their cage and reach.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
I only give toilet paper tubes from the rolls I use in the living room for cleaning up after the birds, as the tubes haven´t been in the bathroom. Depending on the brand, if there´s glue or anything on the tubes, then do not use.
You can use kitchen paper tubes too, again be sure no glue on the tubes.

Cereal boxes and the likes are safe.

If you think this, then remove all paper and cardboard from their cage and reach.
So there should not be any problem with corrugated cardboards. How do you know if the toilet paper rolls have glue on them?