• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are bird feet special?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there something special with the skin on some birds feet? Do they have any feeling there?
The doves come and sit on the metal railing of my balcony when I can't even touch it because it's scolding hot. I don't understand how they can just perch on it and sunbathe?
Would love to know more!
IMG_20210731_160845.jpg Screenshot_20210731_161003_com.huawei.android.launcher~2.jpg
Cooler weather today (95f), but they've done it in hotter weather too, when in the 40s!!!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've read that cold climate birds have limited blood circulation to their feet to minimize heat loss in their core. Perhaps that protects them from heat as well. My conure sits on top of my espresso machine and it's very warm to the touch.

Their higher body temperature probably makes the difference we feel with hot surfaces less on a relative basis.

Now I'm off to read and see if anything I speculated about is actually based on science :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had read something similar explaining why ducks are ok walking on ice... but with the temp of that railing I´m surprised it doesn´t create blisters on them! It´s as hot as a frying pan! :shocked2: