• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

are bells ok for Budgies????

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
maybe @Lady Jane can help and tag others also in this topic. My brain leaves me at the moment

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the type of bell. If it has a cow bell design then it's most likely fine. If it looks like a Jingle bell, then I would steer clear of those.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends :)

You want a bell that is nickel plated or stainless steel. No jingle bell style. If your bird becomes fixated on the clappers, I would remove the bell as they are fairly easy for a bird to remove and swallow.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You have to not only look at how the bells are put together but also what they are made out of. Several metals are poisonous to our feathered friends and a lot of these are made out of or plated with those types of metals.

The only bells I allow my two to play with are the Stainless Steel ones I get from Jan. If I buy a bungie or some other toy that comes with a bell on it I have started taking those off as well just to be safe.

Stainless Steel Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys

When you looking on amazon make sure they don't contain Zinc. Our Aries could remove the clackers in about 5 seconds so we switched to Stainless Steel when she was with us and have stayed with that ever since. I have never had to replace one of Jan's bells and have been using her products for about 4 years now I think.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I always removed the clappers. Like said stainless are best from our vendors.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My vet is so adamant about removing ALL bells, that last time I called in (they go over this list of questions) she said have you removed all bells? And I said sort of.... she said remove them ALL please.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My flock have only one bell. They don't obsess over it. They'll all leave it for weeks then either Goldie or Silva will have half an hour just lifting and dropping it. It's big, it's heavy, and there's nothing about it that can trap beaks or toes.
343065_1.jpg

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My budgies do have stainless steel bells with the clappers removed. Like @Ripshod they sometimes play with them and sometimes don’t.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies have bells. If I removed them all, they'd likely rebel. They're obsessed with bells. Their favourite is from Stainless Steel Bird Toys (a vendor here).