• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are banana peels okay for budgies to eat?

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't offer them banana peels because most bananas sold are probably sprayed with pesticides and other toxic stuff. Unless it's something you grew yourself and can guarantee it's not sprayed I wouldn't risk it.

Edit: I did some searching and they also contain cellulose which is indigestible for birds

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Banana peels are edible, yes. I looked it up to see if banana peels are any more toxic than any other commercial crop, and I could not find any evidence to suggest it is. So, as long as you wash it well like you should be for any fruit and vegetable, it should be safe to feed. If you want to go a step further you could opt to use organic bananas which may lower (but not eliminate) pesticide residue.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wash the skins well before peeling the banana then offer them.
Burt often loves to peel and eat all the white insides out of the skins. I’ve seen the skins offered to birds many times and many people also eat the skins as they’re quite healthy for you apparently.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
If they are well washed then yes. If your birds will eat them. Mine give me a look that says "what the heck is this stuff"? Picky little things they are. But they fight me for a taste of my banana yogurt which I end up eating in the bathroom in private...