• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Babycakes makers safe for birds?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hello!
If anyone is familiar with the brand, Babycakes that create cake pop, donut, etc. makers, please let me know if they are safe. Thanks! D7CDB44A-5506-47A8-88DC-0D8D175C6E50.png 9B2D5AD3-EF55-4D53-8C37-4EF93397BC61.png a

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Usually those types of things have non stick coating. I would call the manufacturer and ask about PTFE and PFOAs.

I´m thinking it will be unsafe.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would assume that the non-stick coating contains PTFE and/or PFOA. Usually companies are happy to make a big deal about using ceramic coating because it's an upgrade.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
On one of their products on Amazon from the manufacturer:

This unit has a Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) coating, which is the equivalent to Teflon brand, non-stick coating. PTFE is non-toxic until it reaches temperatures in excess of 650F, which FAR exceeds the cooking temperature of this unit. All of the products that we manufacture, including this unit, pass all FDA testing requirements.

It only takes one malfunction for PTFE to become deadly to our birds. I would avoid.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I've never understood the point of those. That's not what cake pops are. Cake pops are cake crumbled and mixed with frosting. Trying to decorate a pop that's just a sphere of cake sounds awful. It would fall apart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Thank you all for the input! Will definitely not purchase it. Thank you!

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I've never understood the point of those. That's not what cake pops are. Cake pops are cake crumbled and mixed with frosting. Trying to decorate a pop that's just a sphere of cake sounds awful. It would fall apart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Haha, yes, that would definitely not be a cake pop. Although I was intending on using it to make “Timbits” or doughnut holes. Any Canadian would know how addictive they are!

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Haha, yes, that would definitely not be a cake pop. Although I was intending on using it to make “Timbits” or doughnut holes. Any Canadian would know how addictive they are!
My youngest adores TimBits.

I’ve never made them myself, but supposedly you just need a cookie scoop to make drops to put in the oil, rather than a designated cooker or pan. But you can also get donut hole pans if you want to bake rather than fry. It might be easier to find a pan without nonstick coatings?

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
My youngest adores TimBits.

I’ve never made them myself, but supposedly you just need a cookie scoop to make drops to put in the oil, rather than a designated cooker or pan. But you can also get donut hole pans if you want to bake rather than fry. It might be easier to find a pan without nonstick coatings?
Great ideas! Will definitely look into the pan/bake options. Ive been trying to stay at home and only go out if it is necessary so ive been searching for ways to help me do that during this pandemic

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My grandmother had a cast iron pan for baking aebleskivers, a Danish round pancake. It looked like this:

You rotate the pancakes occasionally during baking so they form into spheres.

aebleskivers-danish-pancake-recipe.jpg

When they are ready to eat, you dust them with powdered sugar or eat them with fruit preserves. They are delightful.

I've had them skewered on a stick at a local Scandinavian festive and it was awesome. I keep meaning to get my own pan so I can make them myself.

ebelskiver-portrait1.gif
(Source: https://themessybaker.com/2013/03/01/aebleskiver-pan-recipe/)

These ones are stuffed with chocolate. That is almost dangerous. Not sure if it is wise to give myself the power to make dozens of them. :D