• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are all species of letuce safe for parrots?

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi there,
So I just grew some lettuce in my garden from seeds I bought from the grocery store. It was a lettuce seed mix with a variety of lettuce. I was wondering if it would be safe to feed it to my bird?
Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe so, but if you post the types that you are growing someone may be able to give you a definitive answer for that type.

Jogging around the block
I've found all lettuce species are safe, but just Iceberg to avoid, mostly because it's quite literally just water no nutrients, so not much point feeding it. But I haven't found anything suggesting it's poisonous, more just unnecessary.

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
im so confused i read lettuce are poisonous for my alexandrine parrot?? any truth to it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
im so confused i read lettuce are poisonous for my alexandrine parrot?? any truth to it?
Some lettuce aren't as good for them, but I've never heard of them being poisonous

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good gosh, where did you read that and what lettuce did they say is poisonous. I think that over Burt’s and Squeaks life time I’ve probably served them a bit of every type of lettuce I’ve ever seen available.

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
Good gosh, where did you read that and what lettuce did they say is poisonous. I think that over Burt’s and Squeaks life time I’ve probably served them a bit of every type of lettuce I’ve ever seen available.
hey sorry bout late reply, I read it on an IRN site it said lettuce, avocado , apple seeds are poisonous and i used to freak if my bird went near it lol its like the old saying don't believe everything you read :|