• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are all lutino cockatiels female?

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I just got my first bird today, a lutino cockatel. The shop owner said they don't know the gender. He/she has a white body with orange cheeks, yellow crest and some yellow markings on her face. (I can post pictures later) He/she is only 2-3 months old so all the colors aren't developed yet, he has bald spots under the wings and in top of the head), so the under wing marking way won't work. Although he/she does have yellow on the underside of the tail. I heard it's very common for lutinos to be female, is mine?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Very common to have the bald patch behind the head. Looks likelutino is sex linked..

No not all lutinos will be female///

Females need only 1 lutino gene to be lutino but males need 2 genes so guess that you could say that females are more likely to be lutino but it also depends on the parents.
If both are lutino then you will have male & female lutinos///

Male can show lutino only if both his X chromosomes have the lutino gene. If only one has it then he will look like the other more dominant gene. Males could carry one gene & you would not know as they look normal/

Females wil be lutino if the one X chromosome has it as its not carried on the Y. Female either is all lutino or is not any lutino

That makes it sex linked.

Male could look normal & carry the lutino gene unexpressed on one of his X's.

Not sure if there is a way to tell sex as if you have 2 parent lutinos then all the babies would be lutino irregardless of sex.

If the father is normal looking but split & the baby is lutino then the father had to pass the lutino X gene but of the mother is also lutino the baby could be male or female...

Not sure with what combo you can judge the sex...but somtimes in certain combos of parents you can.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No, not most lutinos are female. It's just a type of cockatiel mutation and can be either sex. Lutinos also can't be visually sexed. The only way to be sure really is to get a DNA test. Or if she lays an egg. ;) She's a very pretty bird. :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new tiel! Do you have a name picked out?

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
He/she also has a bald spot on her head and under the wings, is this lutino thing or is it because he/she is only 2 months old? He/she sneezes a lot when eating millet, is this common or should I do something?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He/she also has a bald spot on her head and under the wings, is this lutino thing or is it because he/she is only 2 months old? He/she sneezes a lot when eating millet, is this common or should I do something?
All tiels have somewhat of a bald spot under their crest and wings. Lutinos however often having bigger bald spots then other tiels. She's very pretty.

I had a foster lovebird that we named Casey for that same reason- we weren't sure if the bird was a bird or a girl.

As for the sneezes, maybe she's inhaling the husks a little? Are the sneezes wet or dry?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
no, not all lutino are females. I had definite male Rocky, he was whistler and did huge heart wings. because s/he is so young they have not gone thru a baby molt yet. after that baby molt is complete you will be able to tell the sex. @Monica

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Normal female x lutino male
100% normal males split lutino
100% lutino females

Normal female x normal male split lutino
50% normal males
50% normal males split lutino
50% normal females
50% lutino females

Lutino female x normal male
100% normal males split lutino
100% normal females

If you could find out your cockatiels parents, it *MIGHT* give you a clue on sex.

Lutino cockatiels can be sexed just like any other mutation out there with the wing and tail methods unless they are medium/heavy pied as well. Pied being the only mutation that is anti-dimorphic, meaning that males and females can retain immature coloration and the pied feathers do not show any markings on them whatsoever.

Pictured below is an immature, DNA sexed male lutino. Since he still has his baby markings, you can easily see the stripes on the tail/rump feathers, as well as the spots on the flight feathers. (sort of)

002.JPG

Without more information, we cannot figure out your cockatiel's gender. For now, it would be easier to determine gender based on personality and vocalizations. Males tend to be more vocal, knowing more chirps, where-as females tend to be quieter and have less chirps.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have a male lutino...well...99.9% sure he is a male :) He has not been tested but very vocal, all typical male behavior and very bonded to another male. I'm assuming if "he" were female - there would have been many eggs laid by now. I had a female lutino and was able to see the spots in her wings and barred markings in her tail. This one - not at all.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
They are not all female . My lutino is a female and I have been told it more common for them to be female but that doesn't mean yours is a female you may very have a little boy

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Not sure if my cockatiel would be considered "vocal" he/she makes noises when he's mad or scared. In the three days I've owned him/her, I haven't head a whistle. He/she does stretch and moves around his wings very often, not sure if that means anything?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sunshine is lutino...and VERY definitely is a boy...oh boy, is he a boy...:rolleyes:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
VERY dry.
Dry sneezes are normal when preening, etc. Wet sneezes can be a sign of a respiratory problem and should be vet checked. I'm glad they're dry. :)