• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are a baby Caique and 4 Year Old Lovebird Compatible?

JalieJoly

Checking out the neighborhood
We have had a lovebird for about 4 years. We decided to adopt a 6-month old caique. They haven't been in direct contact with each other for safety, but we are wondering if they are going to get along with one another.

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would personally recommend not to ever leave them unattended together and certainly do not house / cage them together. If you are lucky they may get along, but for both birds safety, it should only be done under close supervision.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn’t let them near each other. Too dangerous with the temperaments and different sizes.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what @Irishj9, a member who breeds several species of caique, says about caiques and bird aggression

Caique & bird aggression?

Personally, I wouldn't risk having them out together even under supervision. Too big a difference in beak size and they are FAST - your lovebird could be injured or worse before yu have time to react.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Two extremely territorial birds with aggressive tendencies... best not allow contact for both their safety.

You could still house them in the same room so they can interact verbally, just be sure they are not approaching each others cage during flight time.

Also, as you have having issues with your LB and suspect some sort of parasite, be sure these birds do not enter the same room until you have visited a vet to rule that out. Be sure to wash hands and change your shirt between interacting with each bird.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please keep them separated at all times.

Caiques are very rough and tumble birds.
And when the hormones kick in and it certainly will, they can be very agressive and unpredictable in their behavior.

Joey gets excited easily so I have to modify how I interact with him.
Sometimes I think”this is what a mosh pit is like...”

But he is a great bird and I love him!
Please check :
Caique Cul De Sac