• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Archie is playing fetch

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Okay. I have to learn how to do videos to upload to YT to link here. But I’m retired, and too busy drinking beer and playing with Archie to get into recording and editing the footage.

So today (he’s 1 1/2 years old), from his playstand, he started throwing his little plastic balls with bell inside onto the floor. And by throwing, I mean THROWING. He tossed them halfway across the living room.

I was thrilled with this behavior, and gently dropped the ball on the stand for him to do it again and again, to which he immediately obliged.

But then, I started gently TOSSING it near him, and he backed up/arched his back and opened his beak in what you could interpret as fear at the flying object. But it wasn’t:

He was having a freaking ball (no pun intended), playing CATCH! This went on for a LONG time. I wasn’t tossing the ball at him to catch, just sort of near him to make it easier for him to retrieve and throw again, with his beak, of course.

I’m posting this in Amazons to ask whether any of your zons engage in similar play.

I’m having a BLAST with this!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Amazons don't do anything similar to what you have described but my Bare Eyed does. She likes to play with a small Kong Toy. I toss it towards here. She retrieves it and then tosses it back.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo Elvis, loves to play catch. :) We play everyday. So cute that your Amazon enjoys it too.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC used to. It began by Hubby when he put a ball on top of his cage and MC would charge and ram it to knock it off.

He'd also grab stuff out of his bowl on the playstand and toss it. Hubby would catch it and drop it back in.

Be careful with this. They get over excited and lose control. That's when bad bites happen with parrots.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Good advice!

He was definitely in hyper-drive during this, and I can see it getting out of hand.
Yes, that's a very good point. I have received some of those bites. I now make Elvis "station". He goes to a spot and turns his back before I throw again. It keeps the game at a slower pace and also keeps my fingers away from him. If he still seems to be getting too excited, we stop.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He now catches the ball on a fly, but not every time. When he doesn’t, he tries to bat it back at me.

In addition, he now prefers the heavy little rubber ball with the spikes (a cat toy, I guess).
MC had a rubber ball that had a bell in it. I loved watching hubby interact with him in that game.

Just be careful to not let him get hurt by the ball if you're tossing to him.

I think amazons may tie the human to the memory. I was told that if mine fell (Secret is old) not to go to the cage too quick, that they'd tag me to the memory.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
MC had a rubber ball that had a bell in it. I loved watching hubby interact with him in that game.

Just be careful to not let him get hurt by the ball if you're tossing to him.

I think amazons may tie the human to the memory. I was told that if mine fell (Secret is old) not to go to the cage too quick, that they'd tag me to the memory.
It’s a gentle toss...from 2 feet away...and it’s on the base of his play area. The cage has nothing to do with it.

But the way he throws that ball back, I’M the one who’s going to get hurt!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s a gentle toss...from 2 feet away...and it’s on the base of his play area. The cage has nothing to do with it.

But the way he throws that ball back, I’M the one who’s going to get hurt!!!
I always worried that MC was going to get whiplash that way!

Reactions: Ira

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Oh, isn't it fun! My Sam plays catch with a wadded up paper bag. Been doing it for years. He throws it so well, I usually can catch it. I love it when they do this. It shows how much they are in tune to us as part of their flock. I love being a flock!