• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aracari poo

n2vintage

Moving in
2015-07-04 21.11.51.png Hi folks,,newbie ish here,,,Ive had my green aracari Tiki since December. My vet is concerned that her poo isn't digested. It pretty much looks the same as it did when it went in. Normal?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cool picture :heart: And :welave:

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. Has the look of the poop changed since you've had this bird?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if you have FB but I recommend you contact Jason Crean. He specializes in Aracari'. Welcome and beautiful girlie!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your bird is beautiful.

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Well with my aracari, his poop pretty much looks like a pureed version of the fruit he consumed. Especially softer fruits like melons, papaya, banana, blueberries, watermelon. For grapes, I will sometimes see bits of grape skin chunks.

BTW he was avian vet checked and had 3 different poop tests done in July (for parasites, bacterial, protozoa) and all came back clear.
Did you get any fecal tests done?

Some non-avian vets might not be as experienced in what normal toucan poop might look like (it can really wildly vary in color and consistency compared to parrot poop , e.g.)

I did use Avian Enzyme for the first month or so that I've had him, and an avian probiotic supplement, and I think they helped improve his digestion. His poop was 'chunkier' in the beginning before I used them. However, I wouldn't overdo these supplements, due to concerns over increasing assimilation/uptake of iron, etc. Note: these were NOT vitamin/mineral supplements, which of course are NOT recommended for any aracari/toucan.