• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aquarium plants

Jenny Reynolds

Moving in
Real Name
Jenny
Hi everybody, this is my first post concerning Marble my new boy.

He flies free in my room all day, night times he sleeps in his parrot cage. I have only just started giving him his freedom, this being the 4th day, and he loves it.

One th I'm ng concerns me. I have an aquarium in my room too, with lid but it has little gaps (too small for him to fall through). Marble, today, has started landing on it and trying to pull up the guppy grass etc to presumably eat. Could this be poisonous to him? Theres duck weed in there too.

Many thanks

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you use cross stitch plastic or some such thing so that if you have labyrinth fish, like bettas, gouramis, etc., they can still breathe. An airtight aquarium in general is a disaster & invites aquarium mould.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, don't cut off all oxygen to the tank or everything will die. Fish require dissolved oxygen in the water to "breathe", so even if you don't have any labyrinth fish, you should not seal the tank. If air circulation is minimal, you can increase oxygen levels by adding a bubbler or airstone.

There are also various aquarium hood designs that are tight-fitting, but breathable. They are useful for escape-prone fish.