• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2023 Mayor of the Avenue... Pixiebeak

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Pixiebeak is April's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

My green cheek conure Ta-da , she's 10
402593-15b5b40492ac5aee9926c953e07c4ed5.jpg
My quakers ,Penny mid 20s, Pikachu 6 yrs, Phoebe 3 yrs
IMG_20230325_115146001.jpg

My Budgies Cloudy and Clear Skies , est 8 yrs
402595-44fe9c8ab3f1d2469ed80a5dcdf79ff6.jpg 402596-7c742e97badb60addf53abcd9922b4c7.jpg

2. What got you interested in birds?

My career. My first internship had me working with one of the early pioneers in birds, 30 years or so ago. I was hooked and found them so fascinating! There was a lot of opportunities and growth and better understanding of avian medicine, I was there at the right time to take advantage of it. The field has expanded since then and I've gotten most.

I finally took the plunge to get my own parrot, a mere 10 years later lol. A green cheek conure named Burt The Bird ! She was a doll, the sweetest easiest parrot I've ever shared my life with . We got 17 years and she was there for so many life milestones!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Everything! Opportunity, and joy

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I'm always learning! They are self aware , unique , emotional, and so intelligent. That they are really unlike any other creatures.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

This one is so hard to answer!

But the one that blew my mind , was Neptune my first quaker. He was being a rascal , he was in Ta-da extra large cage, and I couldn't get him out or catch him. He stopped looked at me and said " you, get out of here!" This was the first and only time he ever said this ! He must have cobbled this together from hearing me tell the dogs this.

The other is I will never forget when every single bird in my flock was sick with Chlamydia and I was trying to save them all. There were some real dire moments ....even tho they did all survive.......it haunts me ...... I thought I was going to loose every single love at the same time

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The cages are in the dining area of my great room

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Tossed all non stick cookware. Stopped using scented room freshener stuff that I loved. Put several hanging bird station around the house for them . Changed my furniture and decor to stand up to parrot's! Added slip covers to furniture ( protection and can wash them) got rid of all cloth lamp shades. Went to glass, ceramic and metal , as I had a real lamp shade lander , who chewed them all up. Planted 2 plum trees , bottle brush, and have grown strawberry and bell peppers and other stuff for them . Plan on growing dandelion for them.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just being active on the forum.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Like so many an outdoor aviary!!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I'd love to share my life with so many different species! But Ive been lucky enough to interact with many.

But really I dream of helping more behavior challenged/ neglected/ abused parrots of any species. I ve got a pact with a friend if we win millions to open a parrot shelter. To focus on helping people and parrots with behavior, health and nutrition. Parrot's are not easy first time pets.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Morning screeching
I make their veggies for breakfast , then let them out of the cage by 7:30 -8:30. They come running to see breakfast veggies and test into them ! It's a joy to see their excited faces. They enjoy veggies and foraging and greeting each other . Then they come find me in a hour or two. About 9:30 - 10:00 they are preening me , snuggle , kisses and we sweet talk. Those that can say a few words or phrases will tell me they love me or that they are good birds. Purrs and lots of little happy bird noise .

Then some happy loud vocals as they go look for stuff at that hanging bird stations . Sometimes they know I will have out treats out for them to find . Or hung new stuff to destroy!
So a couple if hours of tearing stuff up !!
Then often it's both time. I have free choice bath bowls .
Then nap in cage for an hour or so quiet time .
Then it's afternoon veggies!
Then back to hang with me for cuddles

I put them to bed and hour before sunset ..about 6pm right now. When I put them up they chomp on their in cage seeds or pellets.

They are nearly all sitting in me as I type this. I love them so much

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Parrot's already make a huge sacrifice to live with us.

Try to provide lots of self choice to them , free choice of movement by being flighted, more out of cage time, as large of a cage as possible , a choice of lots of fresh veggies to choose from , enrichments, free choice bathing , tons of chew textures.

Just more! Even I feel the need to do more!

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have gotten a friend for Burt The Bird sooner . I no longer feel comfortable being a solo parrot household. They are too social.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Backyard conservation, adding native plants, support pollinator, provide nest boxes for wild cavity nesting birds. Enjoying and supporting nature ..and learning about
Painting, sewing, reading.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

What a great group of intelligent and caring members! I'm ready for the next Secret Santa!!

And thank you for the honor !

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:congrats5:@Pixiebeak!

I loved reading your interview :heart:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Gosh I should have proof read, please forgive all my mistakes! :wacky:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay!!! I was so thrilled when I saw this! Absolutely well deserved a massive congratulations to you! :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay! Congratulations!! :starshower1:
Definitely very well deserved :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5:
I loved your interview! "You get out of here!" Story is too funny! Echo does there occasionally, where he says something he's never said before in context and then he never says it again :laughing2:

It also reminded me of this moment during the Golden Globes

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Woooo! :dancing::bliss: Congrats!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:congrats3::congrats5:
Oh this is so well deserved love you to bits your such an amazing person:heart:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well deserved choice and an excellent interview to read! Congratulations!!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:congrats5:
I loved your interview! "You get out of here!" Story is too funny! Echo does there occasionally, where he says something he's never said before in context and then he never says it again :laughing2:

It also reminded me of this moment during the Golden Globes
That's is a real jem!!! How perfect !

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congratulations my friend.
Anyone that helps people with bird's health problems and takes the time to make sure the person understands what she is advising is so admirable. I have seen @Pixiebeak 's posts offering help and suggestions constantly. She really goes over and above to help others and I am so happy she got this award.
Definitely well deserved.
:hug8:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations my friend.
Anyone that helps people with bird's health problems and takes the time to make sure the person understands what she is advising is so admirable. I have seen @Pixiebeak 's posts offering help and suggestions constantly. She really goes over and above to help others and I am so happy she got this award.
Definitely well deserved.
:hug8:
Awwww thank you! :swoon:
Everyone here is so helpful and amazing to those in need..it's truely a wonderful community ! I'm so happy to be a part of .