• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Nikomania

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Nikomania is April's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I am a blessed parront to 13 birds:

2 dusky conures: Gizmo & Nikko
3 CAGs: Maalik, Sydney & Fynn
pineapple GCC: Skittles
lesser jardines: Teak
BHC: Walter
Panama amazon: Harley
meyers: Chloe
ecclectus: Ziggy
miligold macaw: Shaylor
scarlet macaw: Dexter

2. What got you interested in birds?

My daughter and I used to volunteer for a local rabbit rescue, and they housed a few of their rabbits at Petco. The rabbits’ habitat was adjacent to Petco’s bird section. Gizmo, our dusky conure, used to swing on her ladder toy trying to engage us whenever we were there. After about a month we asked to meet her and the rest is history! I’d never had birds before, so we did a ton of research before bringing her home.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds have brought incredible joy to my life. My house is always filled with their happy chatter. I enjoy their companionship and their uniqueness.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Birds are quite empathic in how they convey their likes and dislikes to others. They will also pick up on their humans’ energies and respond accordingly.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

A few years ago I inadvertently left one of the food doors unlatched before leaving for work. Received a call from my son that Skittles, my pineapple GCC, had escaped his cage and my dogs spooked him out the back door. For the next 3 days I searched for my tiny guy in nearby treetops. By sundown on the third day, I decided to call out to him one last time and was overjoyed to hear him call back! Found him hanging upside down entangled in a huge spider web.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

We have a very long kitchen/dining area. Most of my bird cages are in the dining room area. We gave up having a dining room table a long time ago. My macaws are in the living room area.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh yes. We removed our dining room table in order to accommodate the cages. We bought Rabbit Air filters to help with the CAG dust and dander. We also built a large outdoor aviary for them. We rotate the birds outside based upon which ones get along with each other.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I belong to several forums, but AA is my go-to place, and the only forum where I post. I also operate an organic freeze dried avian food company, Bodacious Birdie Bites. My birds must give their ‘beaks up’ to the food before I’ll offer it online to others.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A sound proof aviary for my macaws. My neighbors loathe their vocalizations, so unfortunately they’re not able to readily enjoy it.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

No. I’m super happy with my beautiful flock.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

It begins with my preparing their fresh food while I’m having my morning coffee. It’s a time when I’m mentally planning out my day. Late morning/early afternoon I begin rotating the birds into the outside aviary. Sometime mid-afternoon the macaws come out to the living room where they remain until bedtime. Towards evening all their food and water bowls are changed. They receive a high quality seed blend that doesn’t contain sunflower seeds or peanuts, Harrison’s pellets, millet and some nuts for evening snacking. Pellets are available 24/7 for them to nosh on. In the evening my birds have out-of-cage time, and is when I spend individual time with them. They love to fly over to sit on my shoulder while I’m preparing dinner or doing clean up.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

If you are a Neat Nik, then bird ownership may become stressful for you. They are always flinging food everywhere. Daily swiping down of the cages and routine power washing of their grates and cages are necessary.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have designed my aviary differently to include soundproofing materials.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I play guitar, piano, love to do crewel stitchery, dabble in Photoshop designing, love to cook, garden and enjoy reading. I also love to take walks with my German Shepherds.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

The members of AA are my family. I appreciate the cohesiveness of this group and am grateful for everyone’s help over the years. I am blessed!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations!!! :yah: Such a wonderful choice for mayor!! :starshower: :hug9:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Miss my Sydney updates. Just saying......

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! Wonderful choice. I actually didn't know you had all those types of birds! And my birds are huge fans of Bodacious Birdie Bites. My tiels especially. They will eat their freeze dried chop before anything else- including millet!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats what a great choice!!! :congrats5::starshower1::starshower::yah:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Congratulations!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you very much everyone! I am honored to have been selected for this month, which happens to be my favorite month of the year! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.