• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2018 Mayor of the Avenue... Love My Zons

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Claire is April's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have three birds. My two Amazons, Kazoo a Mealy who will be 9 on May 22nd. Hoosier my Red Lored who will be 11 in Sept. And Jenny our Umbrella Cockatoo who was just 29 in November.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My very first job was working in a pet shop. Loved my job, loved taking care of all the birds, reptiles and fish. My interest in birds started there! Way back then, the Greys and Amazons were all wild caught. They were not friendly and back then they still never scared me to not want one later in life. The Amazon was my first choice, I love them dearly and can remember how funny they were especially when they would laugh. So Amazons are for sure my species that were a have to have.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Companionship and a bond like no other. Respecting one of the true gems of nature and allowing the opportunity to do everything I can to fulfill their lives, while fulfilling my life with their constant, daily presence.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Even though our birds are so long lived, life to too short not to own one. I have learned that they most definitely come first!

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time Kazoo said his name. Then when he said my name. It amazed me so and today I love hearing him call me by my name knowing I have walked into the house and he hasn't even seen me yet he's calling for me.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Hoosier stays in our great room, he's near a 73 inch long window he loves to sit in the filtered sun. Kazoo stays in my bedroom since it's a very lengthy room, great for flight with lots of bright light. Jenny has her very own bedroom with two big windows and plenty of light. The two Amazons out of cage time is when they are together in Kazoo's area. Jenny will hang with her Dad every night and when she's out with me she's on her table top playstand in the kitchen.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, we learned long ago of the dangers of teflon and quickly changed over to SS pot and pans! We will eventually add on to the house and new addition will be for the birds, a long length room, vaulted ceilings and skylights. We hadn't had to change much, but this new bird room with be grande!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not at the moment working full time and also launching my new Kazoo Bird and Company. As time allows in the future I would love to attend the Phoenix Landing workshops and become and active membrer of the Raleigh Durham Caged Bird Society. Of course, being a long time member here at Avian Avenue!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Aah, great question. Stainless steel cages for all!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Blue mutation yellow naped Amazon. A true jewel from nature, a true mutation. They are blue! I love blue!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Everyone gets out of their cages every morning for an hour and 2 hours. Then we go to work. At night everyone is out again for 2 or 3 hours. They are fed, their dry mix for the next day, papers changed daily on all cages. I line the grates and keeps me cages clean. Inspect all toys daily to ensure none are to the point of being no longer safe. Every day is complete hands on with all, everyone is picked up, played with and talked to.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

The most important parts I will say. Safety in the home. Knowing where your birds are all ALL times if they are out of their cages. If you take your birds outside, take them out already in sturdy travel cages! Harness them if you do not have cages to use outside. I cannot understand how so many birds become lost. It is our do diligence to allow them the freedom of flight for health benefits but we must ensure they are safe. Read about your birds dietary needs particular to your species. Have a VET FUND for the if and when you need Veterinary care. Even $5 a week adds up over time. Lastly, giving your birds opportune time to forage, and toys to shred and destroy. A happy bird is a quiet and content bird. Not that I don't mind noise, I love it and my ears are deaf to it. But content and happy parrots will be pretty much quiet if they are enriched with fun things and time to learn to be who they are.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have rescued Amazons rather than getting babies! I had no idea of the amounts of birds in rescues and how they are re-homed many times before landing in their forever homes.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to garden, I love plants and flowers. I also love cars and we own a few Pontiac Trans Am's. One is 40 years old this year our beautiful 1978. My 2001 Trans Am is my beautiful blue baby. I have been drag racing it for 17 years now. So that's my hobby! I love to row the gears at the track.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Being a part of this wonderful community even when life has pulled me away for so long it's good to be back here!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lovely interview from someone else in love with amazons!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats!!!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats5:
I enjoyed reading your interview!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations!!! Well deserved! Loved reading your bio.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats and great interview!! :yah::yourock:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Enjoyed reading your interview.
Post some photos of the Trans Ams. Would like to see those. Was sad when Pontiac closed its doors.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome to AA. Enjoyed reading your interview.
Post some photos of the Trans Ams. Would like to see those. Was sad when Pontiac closed its doors.
Yes, after the Pontiac brand died, I knew my bird would be off the road and garaged. Taken out on nice days only. The 78 was a complete restoration we picked up 4 years ago. They are selling for 2 to 3 times their original sticker price.

The birds:
My 2001 WS6 build #2836 for the year in that color, package and 6 speed tranny. Below our 1978 W72 WS6, martinique blue, Pontiac 400 hardtop. Lastly, Dave's Electron blue Trans Am runs mid 10 seconds 127 MPH 20161120_133948.jpg on the 1/4 mile all naturally aspirated in other words all motor!

20161119_123421.jpg 20160918_101900.jpg 20160918_101833.jpg 20161120_134017.jpg FB_IMG_1487299681392.jpg

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Congratulations! Loved your interview. We need more pictures of your Amazons!

Status
Not open for further replies.