• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures April 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - Firdy num num

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
April 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member

@firdy num num (Eden)

:congrats5:

Setups for multiple birds

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have two birds, one Rainbow Lorikeet, Paris (3 yo), and one cockatiel, Firdy Firdy Num Num (10 yo). :) :tiel3::rl:

Firdy1.jpg
Firdy2.jpg
Paris1.jpg
Paris2.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

No, though Firdy has turned 10 yo this year so I may have to change a few things up soon! Paris is Semi cage free, she only stays in her cage for the outdoors but stays on her play gym for the rest of it.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

No and yes, I'm not very good with budgeting but what I can tell you to do is use natural parts from outside (that are obviously safe) and turn them into bird toys. Also, it's great to set up a little piggy bank for your birds, I place silver coins whenever I get them into a litre bottle with a little slit cut out at the neck and all those silver coins will add up to surprisingly a lot of money for just silver coins.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

Their setup is currently stationary, though I move the play gyms around from room to room so that the birds get to know the whole house and be with me wherever I am. I change up their toys often too so they don't bore themselves out.

Cage1.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

Shipping to Australia from other different countries can get quite pricey, so I like to go the natural option and gather things from the outdoors. If I am able to find an online store with cheap shipping then I definitely go to the option of purchasing a few things from there for my birds.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

I love the play gym, both of the birds love it so it's perfect.

Play gym1.jpg
Play gym2.PNG

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

I tried to make a birdie climb net, and it was definitely a success. I love those Bird climbing nets from OG though I live in Australia so it would've been difficult to ship it here haha, so I had to get thinking; I just decided to make my own and this is how it turned out!

Net1.jpg
8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

Yes, Firdy loves foraging toys but to only rip them apart. She doesn't exactly understand the concept of 'finding what's inside' as she is a bit more older now, but she loves playing with them! Paris is a more interactive bird, so she doesn't find interest in foraging toys.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

I haven't really encountered any problems with the birds but one, Paris loves being carried around, especially on the shoulder but she bites people's faces. It got to the point where it was too much so I took action and taught her to stay on my pants when I carry her around, she would just hang on and stay there. If she ever started to crawl up my shirt I would put her back onto her play gym to let her know that shoulders are not allowed. She has been doing great since and this has limited her biting.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

I dislike Paris's outdoor cage; in the future I'll be purchasing a new one (so I need suggestions:hehe:) so that she will enjoy outdoor time a little bit more as I assume that she needs more fun lol.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

I love the play gyms :hehe: and the birdie climbing net. Also the orbit that I purchased from a local bird store. :)
Orbit1.jpg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

Their setup was built gradually, though when I first brought Paris to our house she immediately settled in and pretended that she has always lived here.:hilarious:

13~ Any future renovations planned?

Yes! Definitely, I will be dedicating a larger space to the birds soon, though we'll just see what happens!!;)

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats:
Did you make the large natural wood play stand? Nice job on the climbing net.
It is great!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks everyone, :)

:congrats:
Did you make the large natural wood play stand? Nice job on the climbing net.
It is great!
Thanks Wendy, and no I bought it for them. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
love the interview and the setup!