• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2016 Mayor of the Avenue... Matthew (aooratrix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Matthew is April's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Morgan, 20 year old female DYA; Harry, 4 year old male BTM; Gossamer, 2 year old female SB2; and Daphne, 5 month old female capri macaw.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I worked at a pet store when imported birds were the norm, and hand raised birds were rare. Something about them just captivated me; I guess it was love at first sight! It bothered me that they were fearful, being alone in a strange land. I began working with them, sharing my lunch with them on breaks. The first bird I loved was Puff, an imported male Moluccan. We became friends over time and shared meals.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Boundless joy, unconditional love, great sorrow, new bills, and biblical messes. And amazing people I'd never have met otherwise.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That when you think you're being patient, you need to find more, or you'll become a patient...in an asylum. I've learned basic skills and info like using power tools, making nutritional meals, capturing behaviors, and SO MUCH MORE.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There are many, but I'd have to say looking in Ziva's eyes and realizing she loved me and that she'd picked me as much as I'd chosen her. It's bittersweet, though. :(

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I have a room that's an addition at the back of the house. They also share the living room with us...a lot.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Aside from committing that room to them, I've added a basic wood shop, a chest freezer, an Austin Air, and other things that are bird-driven. For instance, we've given up candles, Teflon, etc., for the birds' safety.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Duh! I'm on here and macaw board. In the past, I've done school presentations, which I'd like to start up again. I used to be the Indiana state rep for The Amazona Society and was active in bird clubs until they turned into "Real Housewives" episodes packed with drama. Life's too short.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

If I could afford an outdoor aviary that provided the biosecurity I'd want, that'd be a dream come true.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I'm a macaw guy at heart, so I'd love to share my life with a hyacinth before I die. I also admire the yellow Dom hybrids. There are 'toos that fascinate me, like Galeritas and RTBs, but one is enough, as I worry about the dust and my New World birds.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Up at 5:30, breakfast for the birds with ambient interaction and then I'm off to teach high school English. When I get home after working out, I feed them a fresh meal, usually chop or Goldenfeast, have dinner, and then get them out. Bath days are Tuesday's and Sunday's; weekends are different. I change papers daily, usually, and refill/rotate toys several times weekly. Plus all the little, mundane chores that are part of living with birds.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Find an avian vet you trust BEFORE they're needed. Electric pressure cookers are Godsends. Handheld steamers are essential. Parrots are wild at heart and have to adapt more to the living room jungle more than any other commonly kept pet. And we need to accept and respect that.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I wish I'd started making my own toys years ago. I've blown a lot of money. If I had a time machine and knew what I do now, I'd only have macaws. I CHERISH Morgan & Gossamer, but macaws melt my butter.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I landscape my yard in the summer; my small yard has over 200 plants. I coached volleyball until this year and will really miss it but not some of the parents or the time commitment. I took over a program that was not respected and made it to the Final Four and won our league the last 4 seasons, the last 2 of which were undefeated. Is this bragging? I hope not; I'm quite proud of what some exceptional young people and I accomplished together. :)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Don't make assumptions where parrots are concerned: generalizations are not gospel, e.g. dont expect your grey to be Alex or your umbrella to be Milty ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! :hug8:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Great interview!
When you talk about your first job working with birds, and they were imported birds, does that mean what I think it means?
I can't for the life of me figure out the word for it now, too early!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great interview!
When you talk about your first job working with birds, and they were imported birds, does that mean what I think it means?
I can't for the life of me figure out the word for it now, too early!

Not sure what you think it means, LOL! :) I worked at a chain pet store back then, and all of the birds were imported. Sadly, they were wild caught. They were mainly recumbent crest 'toos (umbrellas & Moluccans), Amazons, greys, and conures.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats!

Thanks for being a teacher....

What happened to the amazona society? I looked for that when I wound up with my zons.

Status
Not open for further replies.