• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2015 Mayor of the Avenue..... Cecilia (CeciliaZ)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Cecilia as April's Mayor of the Avenue.
I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have 5 birds: 4 cockatiels and a lovebird. My oldest bird is a normal gray tiel (Buddy). I am not sure of his exact age. I am guessing he is at least 16 yrs old. I have had him for about 14 ½ yrs, My sister had him for about 8 months before he came to live with me. Two other male tiels are a pastel face mutation and are brothers. They are both about 5½ yrs. old. Sassafras (Sassy) is a lutino and Mocha is gray. My female tiel, Lily is a whiteface and is about 4 ½ yrs. old. Lovebird McGuyver is a peach face lutino. She also used to belong to my sister. I am not sure of her exact age but she is at least 10 years old.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I have always liked birds –even as a child. But I don’t really know what got me interested. None of my relatives or friends had birds. Even my brother-in-law has asked me that question! As a child we had dogs. I do remember having 2 parakeets as a child – but definitely did not have the bond with them as I do with my birds now. When I had my own home – I wanted a pet. So about 22 years ago I brought home my first bird – a pied yellow and gray cockatiel that I named Sunny. I had him for over 15 yrs.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds bring me a lot of joy. They are part of my family. I do not have children – so like many here, my birds are my feathered children. There are days that are sometimes overwhelming as so many can understand. The cage cleaning, food prep, trying to make toys, and especially those days when those fully flighted tiels do not want to go in their cage! But overall – my experience is positive – hearing those chirps and singing in the morning, when I come home from work, having them fly to you, asking for scritches – I would not change a thing. And heartbreak also. I have had 3 other tiels. I have never rehomed any – and losing them is so very hard. But the joy of having them and sharing my life with them outweighs any heartache and grief.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

It really is a commitment. It is not for everyone. Providing a cage, food and some toys are not enough, in my opinion. Providing enrichment in the form of various kinds of toys and foraging opportunities and spending time with them are also very important as well as medical care. All birds have their own personality and needs – one of mine (Buddy) is quite “hands off.” He truly enjoys the companionship of tiel, Sassy over any human while tiel, Lily is very bonded to me.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Oh so many memories…but one that will stay with me forever…my niece was over one day. She was about 8 or 9 years old then. Tiel Sunny was on my shoulder. He spread his wings – like an eagle and was very close to my head and ear. She asked me: “is he trying to give you a hug?” Yes…I do like to believe those are birdie hugs.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The birds are in my main living area – a combined living and dining area. I often feel that this is truly their room that they share with me! This area contains their cages, climbing net, playstands, atom, toys, etc. Here they can look outside the patio door and see trees and other birds.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I did not have to make changes – just make room for their cages. After getting up the courage to drill that first hole in the ceiling to hang their climbing net, the rest are much easier! After that, then came the MPBT atom, then a tri-swing, etc. After all, it is our home and those can easily be fixed when needed, right? Also, I consider their safety when cooking and cleaning and when any home improvement project is considered.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

No. I don’t know of any bird groups near me. I do like to attend an occasional bird fair – but mostly just to get some natural grapevine perches and toys from one particular vendor.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I have wanted an outdoor aviary for a long time and last year I finally bought one from Corners Limited! It is not very big – about 5’ x 6.5’ and 6’ high. I would love to have a much larger one but living in a townhouse – space is limited on my patio. My birds love it and they spent a lot of time outside in it during the warmer months. It was my best and most exciting purchase last year!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I don’t really have a “dream” bird. I often thought of getting a conure. Something other than a tiel. But right now I do not have room to add another cage. Those who have tiels know how skittish they can be. Mine tend to take flight when the lovie chirps – like they have never heard her before! What would they do if they heard a conure?? So for now the tiels come first…my lovebird is fearless…nothing seems to scare her. No “dream” bird…I am really drawn to the “littles” especially tiels. I hope someday to rescue one after hearing so many are in rescues.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Some days I work second shift, others first. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and some Thursdays I work second shift. Fridays I work days. If I am home during the morning, the birds get their out of cage time in the morning. On the days that I work first shift…they come out of their cage in the early evening. On weekends, they have more out of cage time.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

All birds are different and each has their own personality. Sometimes they need their space also and I learn to respect that also. Trust your instinct when it comes to your birds…you know them best.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

My birds now have so much more now than my first birds – larger cages, more types of toys, better food. They were fed a varied diet but I did not know of sprouts then and healthier ways of making bird bread.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I used to have more hobbies – before having birds. At one time I liked to cross-stitch, needlepoint, and knit. I remember trying to cross-stitch when I had my first tiel. He liked to chew on the wooden cross-stitch ring and undo my stitches…oh well…maybe someday. Now, I look forward to the little bit of gardening that I can do…and growing things for me and the birds. I also like to attend craft and art shows.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

This was a surprise – and thank you. I have learned so much here.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations Cecilia!

Matt

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:Congratwav:

I enjoyed getting to know about you and your flock :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats! Loved reading about your flock!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:starshower1:Congratulations. :) I enjoyed learning about your flock and loved the story about your niece. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran