• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - saroj12

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
So excited to be starting this monthly segment back up again!!! Saroj has an amazing setup for multiple birds and I'm sure everyone will pick up some good ideas here to use in their own homes!

1) What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have six birds...two males Quakers, a caique couple, an African red bellied parrot and a timneh grey. The setup is flexible in that there is sufficient space for several birds. However I can't add any more birds because of the established flock dynamics.
q1.jpg
2) Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

Yes. Big Scooter the TAG doesn't grow flights on one side and drops like a rock. So the tile floor is covered with four layers of quilts. Every weekend I have a young couple come by and pick up the quilts, sweep, mop and then put the quilts back on. (They also clean the cages). All of Big Scooter's hangout spaces are no higher than five feet.
q2_1.jpg
q2_2.jpg
q2_3.jpg

3) Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

The setup is totally changeable but the Quakers and Tag don't allow reconfiguration, so things stay the same on the floor. I am allowed though, to change up the hanging gyms and such.
q3_1.jpg
q3_2.jpg
q3_3.jpg
q3_4.jpg
q3_5.jpg
q3_6.jpg

4) Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

Everything in the bird spaces is store bought. The big birds are in ss cages, the Quakers are in identical avian adventures Chiquita dometops. All the hanging gyms are from our awesome AA vendors. I have too many favorites to list but SWS finds me shopping till I drop, :lol:
q4_1.jpg
q4_2.jpg

q4_4.jpg

Another CL carpenter creation! We now use this to store dry food on in the bird room

q4_3.jpg

5) Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

The birds love the exotic wood dreams flyer most of all, so that is my favorite purchase. Here is Chickie enjoying it :)
q5.jpg

6) Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

The caiques are very active birds and I have several foraging toys for them inside and out of their cage. Little Scooter the Quaker is also excited about nutriberries hidden in challenging ways. Those 3 oz paper cups are great to scrunch up tidbits in, and takes them a few minutes to chew through them. Jackson the Quaker is my oldest at 22, and he likes to eat off a paper towel on his cage floor, so that's his foraging activity.
q6_1.jpg q6_2.jpg
q6_3.jpg

7) What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

Because there is sufficient space to get away, the birds can all be out together. Little Scooter tends to get in the caique's faces, and has been severely injured twice due to lack of diligence on my part. So now I monitor him closely and distract him away when he tries to arbitrate the caique squabbles or join in their vigorous flapping games, or try to snatch food from their beaks. Never mind the he has the same stuff in his dish....
q7_1.jpg

8) What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

It's all good. So is coming home to this......:D
q8.jpg

9) What do you like most about your setup?

Two things!
First i love love love having a sink in there

q9_1.jpg

Second....there is an attached flying room and in spring and fall I can leave the door open so the birds can freely fly in and out. I love that room.
q9_2.jpg
q9_3.jpg
q9_4.jpg

10) Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

When the bird room was built I had accumulated a few hanging gyms. As the years went by I added more gradually, so the birds acclimated smoothly. They are troupers, not much fazes them! They are also relatively young birds, so more resilient I think.

11) Any future renovations planned?

We just had the flying room opaque white plastic replaced with clear tuftex. Lets in a lot more light. No major renovations coming up. I might add an attached sunroom with no plastic on top so we don't have to go out in travel cages to get direct sunlight.
q11.jpg

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome set-up Saroj!!! :laughing12:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so jealous of your set up! How awesome for your birds!!! And where did you get that cute house thing? Love it!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Such an amazing space for your birds! I would love to have that flying room. :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Always love seeing your setups Saroj! You set the bar high for the rest of us :)

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:highfive: I absolutely love how fun the whole room looks!!! That lil pumpkin full of treats I am totally going to do that!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Lovely setup and happy birds. :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your setup is amazing! I can not let Michael see the attached room!

Matt

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your setup is amazing. My birds and I are jealous! I especially like the bird furniture that the carpenter built.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Aww thanks folks! I had fun compiling this article. Steve did a great job putting it all together, thank you Steve! Michelle, a carpenter I found on CL made the custom wood furniture.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Very cool! Lots of questions I've had are now answered! Thanks and as usual I'm jealous :)

Saroj, why do you only use the sunroom in spring and fall? I thought you lived in Florida? Or does it get too hot/cold for the other seasons?

Thanks agai for sharing. Nice post!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful set up :laughing12:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Very cool! Lots of questions I've had are now answered! Thanks and as usual I'm jealous :)

Saroj, why do you only use the sunroom in spring and fall? I thought you lived in Florida? Or does it get too hot/cold for the other seasons?

Thanks agai for sharing. Nice post!

Hi Holly, mid summer and mid winter is too extreme. Our two good seasons last for months and months!
Tyrion, I love the name and the books!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holy moly! Your bird room and sun room are phenomenal!!! :jawdrop1:

I would be like :bliss:Every day with the birds if I had that :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.