• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

April 2012 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ jasminlana (Elsie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
April's 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight is none other than Jasminlana! She has made a wonderful environment for not only Princess Ella but for all her beloved fids to enjoy in this Multiple Birds/Multi Room Setup!
:cheer: :starshower: :cheer:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
Parakeet, a canary, sunday conure, a goffin cockatoo, african grey and dove.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
Not really except Ella's cage does not have the legs on it because she initially could not fly and I didn't want her to get injured if she fell from the cage, so I left the legs off so the cage was lower to the ground.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
All I can say is take advantage of the sidewalk sales and order a few things at a time.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
It stays primarily as is. I do sometimes change out the toys I have hanging up.

IMG784.jpg IMG783.jpg IMG1546.jpg IMG786-1.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
I like to shop with all the vendors on Avian Avenue.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
The java tree stands are a favorite. Great additions to a small space and they are easily moved around if you get the tabletop ones. I would love to add a big java tree one day.

IMG1574.jpg IMG1513.jpg sammieonhertreestand.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
All of the do it yourself toys were a hit. Mostly I make wood toys because my conure is a real wood chipper. Ella (goffin) also likes to chip wood on occasion and even my grey chips wood on occasion.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I have a foraging wheel for the conure and a big foraging wheel for my grey. They both took to it right away. Just be sure to add their fave treats. Ella using foraging drawers. I also give the grey treat boxes to shred and paper towel rolls stuffed with goodies to shred.

IMG1578.jpg IMG1579.jpg IMG1566.jpg

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Ella liked to climb over to Zoey cage and sit on top, but then she would nip at Zoey at times and so I had to move the cages further apart, one on one side of the room and one on the other. Neither fly so as long as they can't climb over to each other's cage, all is okay. And now i need another tree stand for Zoey so she can have her own. I will have it by Monday, so like I say, a work in progress.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Re: Feathered Estates

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
Well, I wish it was a permanent space so I could hang things up permanently and give my birds more to explore.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
It's versatile and it works for me and my fids.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
They seem to love it.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
Well, yes, a work in progress. Hubby and I are planning to redo the sunroom and then the birds will have their own space to play and explore. I hope to add lots of bird safe plants and java trees and lots and lots of toys and more areas to explore.

Here's some more pics:

Ella java tree stand. I diva'd it up.

IMG1557.jpg

Zoey chipping wood.

IMG1550.jpg

Sammie likes boxes to shred and also shredding paper:

IMG1535.jpg IMG1534.jpg IMG1532.jpg

Ella's cage and java tree and foraging drawers

IMG1528.jpg IMG1527.jpg IMG1524.jpg

Lisa's cage:
IMG1523.jpg

Whoey thinks she's one of the dogs.

IMG1572.jpg

Last edited:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Thank you, Marie. Actually last pic is Whoey in one of the dog's cages. His cage is here.

It's a small dog crate, but it's always left open. He comes and goes as he pleases which means a lot of mopping but it's okay. Hoping to get him a nice outside rabbit house very soon so he can go outside during the day in the spring and summer

Sammie with his foraging wheel

My living room without the tree stand

We forgot Tweety, the canary

Also here's a video tour

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! What a great setup that you have made!

Matt

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful interview and set up! Congrats Elsie!!:dance5:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Everything looks great! Lucky birdies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Bumping this up to top position. :D

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Looks awesome!! So jealous of your set up!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wwowwwwwww Elsie, what a wonderful set up

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful! Loved them all. Such happy looking fids ^_^

I was wondering where you got the java tree from? I was also wondering how long do the pups stay in the kennel?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You've made a wonderful area for your birds. I can't believe how creative you've been! I have to say, you've got some lucky babies!

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Beautiful! Loved them all. Such happy looking fids ^_^

I was wondering where you got the java tree from? I was also wondering how long do the pups stay in the kennel?
I got all the java trees from Kathie at My Safe Bird Store

The dogs are crated when I go out -- I don't work a 9-5 so just when I run errands and that is because Ella is cage free and also if any of the other birds were to get out, I want to make sure everyone is safe as possible.

My dogs are good with the birds. The white dove actually follows the dogs around, naps with them, goes outside with them and comes back in on her own --can't fly due to wing injury (found that way)

Also my dogs will go to their crates on their own -- a lot of times they are left open.

If I have company like a service call visit, i give the dogs the cage command

If my birds other than Whoey are on the floor, I give the dogs the cage command because when i try to pick a bird up they are all hovering around and curious and it's scary for the bird.

And that day they were crated because i was sweeping and mopping before i shot the video and the one dog, Dee Dee does NOT like the broom so impossible to clean and mop with them out because she makes the others chase after the broom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.