• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Appropriate Myna Food?

Belle590

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Belle
About a month ago, I took in an orphaned wild common myna chick at about 10 days old. I've been rearing him, using a combination of egg, rice, oatmeal, apple sauce, Wombaroo Insectivore rearing formula and a lorikeet rearing and conditioning formula, as well as fruit and mealworms. He is now 5-6 weeks old and I've decided to keep him. I'm struggling to find an appropriate pellet for him in Australia.

Mynas are considered pests in Australia, one reason I wouldn't release this bird back to the wild, but to the point no one thinks of them as or keeps them as pets. There are just no options for pellets here. I would love some guidance as to what I can feed him, I can't find any low iron softbill food. I understand low iron is very important, and possibly low vit C too? I have Vetafarm Pardise Pellets, which are low iron but not a softbill food or to my knowledge low vitamin C, I'm not sure if this is appropriate? I also might be able to manage to get Pretty Bird softbill food, it's low iron formulated I'm not sure if this is any good? It would need to be a great pick as it looks very expensive for me to get here. I have found Peckish softbill blend too, but I don't think this is low iron. Any thoughts on what is most appropriate or does anyone know any other products available in Australia that might work?

I'd also love any tips for housing/cage setup for mynas and any other general advice. Cheers!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Insecta pro is a food vetafarm makes for magpies I think but I’m not sure it is what you’re after, have you checked out the whole vetafarm range?
I’m wondering if a call to an AV might be helpful.
I also can’t say that chook pellets would be right but I know all the wild birds loved them so it might be worth checking them out too?

Belle590

Real Name
Belle
Thanks! This is definitely a handy link for the rest of his diet. Need to work out an appropriate pellet/blend though!

Insecta pro is a food vetafarm makes for magpies I think but I’m not sure it is what you’re after, have you checked out the whole vetafarm range?
I’m wondering if a call to an AV might be helpful.
I also can’t say that chook pellets would be right but I know all the wild birds loved them so it might be worth checking them out too?
Insecta pro specifically includes mynas I'm afraid. They have a softbill food too apparently, but I can't find anything on it's iron levels so I'm not sure. Sounds like low iron is really important. I hadn't thought about chook pellets, I'll look into it! And I'm definitely looking into AVs, might even get a consult with one. Thanks.

Belle590

Real Name
Belle
Sorry, I meant it specifically excludes mynas (can't see an edit button on the post!)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks! This is definitely a handy link for the rest of his diet. Need to work out an appropriate pellet/blend though!

Insecta pro specifically includes mynas I'm afraid. They have a softbill food too apparently, but I can't find anything on it's iron levels so I'm not sure. Sounds like low iron is really important. I hadn't thought about chook pellets, I'll look into it! And I'm definitely looking into AVs, might even get a consult with one. Thanks.
If I was you I’d call AVs to ask for a recommendation for either a pelleted food (or maybe even something like dog biscuits?) or a contact for a wildlife rehabilitation place.
I’d also contact vetafarm and ask them directly. I’m almost sure they used to have the little nutritional information panel on all their products but if not then I’m sure they could tell you.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I agree with @Shezbug about contacting a AV or a Wildlife rehab.
@Feather ?

Belle590

Real Name
Belle
I agree with @Shezbug about contacting a AV or a Wildlife rehab.
@Feather ?
Thanks! I find most wildlife rehab want nothing to do with mynas. I've been looking into AVs tonight, I will be making some calls and will be organising a checkup/consult to drown a poor vet in questions haha. I'm a little worried that it will be hard to find someone who knows a lot about them as they are so rarely kept as pets in Aus and never rehabbed, but even if that's the case I'm sure they'll know a lot more than I do!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have a starling, not a myna, but he also requires low iron in his diet. I can't speak for how well his diet overall would scale between the two species, but peppermint or decaffeinated black tea can help iron sensitive birds like ours.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you get Mazuri over there? I know they make Softbill foods for zoos worldwide.

Pretty Bird is a good brand :)

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Q-- if Myna's are considered a pest bird, does that mean they are a 'naturalized' bird in your nation [might be wrong term]... If so, are you allowed to have him at all? [ie, when you contact a vet/ DNR/ rehab place]...?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have found that veterinarians won't report people for having a restricted bird. They want the bird to have proper vet care and don't feel that they are law enforcement officers.