• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Application to use for Avian Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Here is a suggested use of an application when looking for a home for a bird. I am also attaching a pdf file of it for you to save and print if you want to.

Application For Avian Adoptions

Your Name:_____________________________________________ _

Spouse's name:_______________________________

Is this person aware of the tentative adoption?________________

Ages of children:_________________________________________

Address:__________________________________________ ____

City, State, Zip:___________________________________________

Home Phone:______________________ Cell:_________________________

What is the best time to call?:_________________________________

Spouse Occupation:______________________________________

How many hours a day would the bird be left alone?:________________

If present relationship were to change, who would keep the bird?___________________

Who would be the birds primary caregiver?__________________________

Type of Dwelling? House___________ Apartment___________ Condo___________

Do you rent or own your home?______________________

If you rent, we will need permission from your landlord in order to adopt.

Name and phone number of landlord:_________________________________________ _

Does anyone in the home smoke?________________________

Do you own any other pets or birds, and what are they?

__________________________________________________ ____________________

If you travelled who would take care of the bird?____________________

Do you have an Avian Vet? __________

Name and number of Vet:______________________________________________ _______

Are you aware that hookbills have a normal urge to chew wood, buttons
jewelry, furniture, molding and any other thing that may get in the way of
their potentially destructive beaks?___________________

All parrots have the capability of talking, but not all will talk. Some birds
will scream in loud pitches, continuously. They may just need attention,
food or love. They may also have behavioral habits that could be hard to
break. How would you handle these situations?________________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Parrots can require a lot of attention and maintenance. Medical attention and properly feeding
the bird can be expensive. Have you considered this?______________

If you were to move out of state, would you contact us as a courtesy?__________

Under what circumstances would you not be able to keep the bird?
Divorce?______ New baby?__________ Illness_________ New Job_________
Allergies?____________ preferring one person to the other?_____________

In order to adopt we require a home check to be completed before adoption and after the bird is adopted.
Would you permit inspection of your home prior to an adoption?_____________
Would you allow a post adoption visit to your home?___________________

Describe signs of illness in a bird:___________________________________________

Certain materials used as a cage liner could kill a bird. List safe cage liners:______
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Can you describe some of the dangers that a bird might be exposed to in any
household?________________________________________ ___________________

Vitamin deficiencies can be hazardous to your bird's health. It is important
to provide your bird with a wide variety of foods. What foods would you feed to an
exotic bird?_____________________________________________ ____________
__________________________________________________ __________________

List Toxic Foods:____________________________________________ __________

List Safe Foods:____________________________________________ __________

Where will the bird's cage be located?______________________________________

How is the proper cage size determined for each bird?_________________________

What materials are safe for perches?_______________________________________

Why is it necessary to have different diameter perches?_______________________

List some toxic household cleaners and plants :______________________________

List 3 references to your pet care, name and phone number:

Your Signature:________________________________________ __- Date_____________

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks although I hope never to use it

M

M.C Bird Rescue

As things often happen beyond our control...this is for everyones use here and everywhere. It is always sad, and very hard to place one of our beloved pets. I hope noone NEEDS to use it, but if so...screen screen screen the homes.

pinkyisblue

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Why all the emphasis on home visits? I'm a very private person and I'm just incredibly uncomfortable with that. Is there another option? This stipulation is keeping me from adopting from rescues in my area. even though I absolutely prefer to do that over buying from a breeder.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Why all the emphasis on home visits? I'm a very private person and I'm just incredibly uncomfortable with that. Is there another option? This stipulation is keeping me from adopting from rescues in my area. even though I absolutely prefer to do that over buying from a breeder.
I know this is an old post, but this is just for anyone who wants an answer like you... :)

I find that with home visits, they have a better idea of your care. Many bird rescues check to make sure that you have stainless steel appliances, a large enough area for the bird (i believe some rescues need a cage before the birds are adopted out), and if you do have a bird, that he or she is properly cared for. So many animals (as home checks in apply to dogs, cats, ferrets, and any other animal rescue organization) were already in bad enough situations, for parrots, it seems much more so considering that they are susceptible to flying away, dying of Teflon poisoning, and plucking from bad ownership. It's also just a reassurance that you have nothing to hide -- it's better to be safe than sorry in today's world, unfortunately.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
do you mean stainless pots and pans? i can't think of any reason the appliances have to be stainless steel... @HyacinthWings

i am also extremely uncomfortable with home checks. i do not like the idea of strangers judging my lifestyle. i am happy to provide photos of the pet's living area but do not want rescue volunteers wandering around my house.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Having done tons of homechecks I have never "wandered around" someone's house nor am I familiar with rescues where that is common. I don't judge people's lifestyles. I don't care if you have zebra striped bed sheets or keep a messy house or have giant posters of spiders all over your ceilings. What I do care about is seeing with my own eyes that you have the ability to provide a safe environment for an animal I am responsible for.

Here's the facts, people lie. I have been on dozens of homechecks where it is plain as day that potential adopters knowingly lied on their applications. Other rescue folks have the exact same experiences. People saying they have fenced yards, when they don't. People claiming not to have other pets, only for me to be greeted by freshly used litter boxes or barking dogs when I ring the bell. People tell me they own their own home and I arrive to find their landlord chewing them out for late rent, a landlord who coincidentally has a strict no-pet policy. Or how about a non-smoking home reeking of cigarette smoke to the point my eyes literally watered. I've also been sent pictures of the home environment that did not match up with the home I eventually visited....at all.

Yes, it's an inconvenience (for everyone, not just the adopter, but the rescue worker too) but bad apples unfortunately spoil the bunch. The rescue is responsible for the bird in their care and they will still feel responsible long after it's been adopted out. Nothing makes you feel worse then finding out you adopted out an animal who later suffered and/or died at the hands of the adopter. It is our job to do our due diligence to make sure that the animal is going to a good home. A good home doesn't mean a rich home or a home with similar taste in decorating or an impossibly clean home; a good home is one where the animal will be loved and be safe. I do not know you, I cannot afford to take your word at face value because a life depends on me.

For those that don't want someone physically in your home, maybe offer to Skype or FaceTime with a rescue representative. While it's extremely easy to provide fake photographs, doing a real time Skype session where you walk me through the living areas and show me the setup is a compromise I was willing to make. They could have been in a friend's house, the house could reek of cigarette smoke and they could have a crazy-uncle shackled in the spare bedroom, but I figure this is all much harder to accomplish in realtime then it is in photos or videos.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
do you mean stainless pots and pans? i can't think of any reason the appliances have to be stainless steel... @HyacinthWings

i am also extremely uncomfortable with home checks. i do not like the idea of strangers judging my lifestyle. i am happy to provide photos of the pet's living area but do not want rescue volunteers wandering around my house.
Pots and pans cannot and should not be non stick or risk releasing Teflon fumes. Even though people do say it doesn't happen unless the pan or pot is burned, there are cases where lives have left us and it is POSSIBLE to burn a pan. I once left a stainless steel kettle on the stove and forgot about it, and it burned. I don't have a bird, but it's still a very real risk. It's one that I'm not willing to take.

Having done tons of homechecks I have never "wandered around" someone's house nor am I familiar with rescues where that is common. I don't judge people's lifestyles. I don't care if you have zebra striped bed sheets or keep a messy house or have giant posters of spiders all over your ceilings. What I do care about is seeing with my own eyes that you have the ability to provide a safe environment for an animal I am responsible for.

Here's the facts, people lie. I have been on dozens of homechecks where it is plain as day that potential adopters knowingly lied on their applications. Other rescue folks have the exact same experiences. People saying they have fenced yards, when they don't. People claiming not to have other pets, only for me to be greeted by freshly used litter boxes or barking dogs when I ring the bell. People tell me they own their own home and I arrive to find their landlord chewing them out for late rent, a landlord who coincidentally has a strict no-pet policy. Or how about a non-smoking home reeking of cigarette smoke to the point my eyes literally watered. I've also been sent pictures of the home environment that did not match up with the home I eventually visited....at all.

Yes, it's an inconvenience (for everyone, not just the adopter, but the rescue worker too) but bad apples unfortunately spoil the bunch. The rescue is responsible for the bird in their care and they will still feel responsible long after it's been adopted out. Nothing makes you feel worse then finding out you adopted out an animal who later suffered and/or died at the hands of the adopter. It is our job to do our due diligence to make sure that the animal is going to a good home. A good home doesn't mean a rich home or a home with similar taste in decorating or an impossibly clean home; a good home is one where the animal will be loved and be safe. I do not know you, I cannot afford to take your word at face value because a life depends on me.

For those that don't want someone physically in your home, maybe offer to Skype or FaceTime with a rescue representative. While it's extremely easy to provide fake photographs, doing a real time Skype session where you walk me through the living areas and show me the setup is a compromise I was willing to make. They could have been in a friend's house, the house could reek of cigarette smoke and they could have a crazy-uncle shackled in the spare bedroom, but I figure this is all much harder to accomplish in realtime then it is in photos or videos.
I could not have worded it better. Thank you. :hug8:

Chihuahua

I realize that @HyacinthWings I was confused because you said appliances... pots and pans are not appliances and I was wondering why APPLIANCES had to be stainless steel.

Teaks mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hope Berger
I am interested in adopting. Can I download this application and send it to rescues in order to facilitate the adoption?

Status
Not open for further replies.